Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gbts
Regular Visitor

Manage Relationships disabled

Hello, all!

I'm a new user and am working my way through the videos in Guided Learning while looking around in Power BI Desktop.  I am stuck because I've gotten to the part about Managing Relationships (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-2-2-manage-data-relationships/), and those sections are not available in my Desktop app.  It's greyed out at the top, and not available on the left side of the screen.  (See visuals below.)

MR greyed.PNGMR gone.PNG

I do have data.  It is available on the right side under Fields.

I am working with sales data, and I want to be able to show ONE row per won quote, but a varying # of products within that quote.  I've only been able to get this info to show with multiple rows per quote (one row per product).  I'm hoping that managing my relationships will help with this, but I can't get there.  😕

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gbts,

Did you establish a live connection to SSAS? If so, your scenario is expected. If you want to some exercises, you can change live connection to import mode. 

Manage Relationships disabled.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
picnic
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Manage Relationships is always greyed out. I do not see SSAS connection in Power BI desktop, where this is to be checked? 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gbts,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gbts,

Did you establish a live connection to SSAS? If so, your scenario is expected. If you want to some exercises, you can change live connection to import mode. 

Manage Relationships disabled.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

I do see that I have a Live connection, thanks!  But I cannot figure out how to change the connection.  Can you help with that?

Hi there,

I'm curious about this - I'm having the same issue as the original poster (manage relationships greyed out/disabled) yet when I try to set up my data from SASS to import instead of a live connection I get the "not enough memory" error as detailed in:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Not-Enough-Memory-Error/td-p/193818

Following the steps here doesn't help me, so I've raised an internal ticket to see if our IT guys might be able to check the memory issues specifically, but any other suggestions/fixes/options I could try to enable the manage relationships option?

Thanks.

Hi @Zoe,

This isn't an issue. SSAS is a complete model of data analysis. You can apply the changes of the relationship in the SSAS model.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.