Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Making the lookup work.

This is my data and model:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRU0lECYTMzM6VYHaCAEVTA3NwcLGAE4oAELSwsIAJGUAFLS0ul2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Child = _t, Parent = _t, AttributeChild = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Child", Int64.Type}, {"Parent", Int64.Type}, {"AttributeChild", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTI0NFSK1YlWMgKyjYyMlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Parent = _t, AttributeParent = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Parent", Int64.Type}, {"AttributeParent", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Nci7CQBBCEDBXow30cBPLSLHwpVw/XO8wGyYblFVOfLe7z5wTouZbUHK3bcgFRFbkMrMLUhV1Rac+QE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Attribute = _t, AttributeData = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Attribute", Int64.Type}, {"AttributeData", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

data.JPG
model.JPG

I want to add a column to Table1 which would show the Child's AttributeData. Like this: 
desired_result.JPG

How to do it while keeping two-directional cross filtering??? I could make the incative relationship single-direction, but not the active ones!

These all formulas fails miserably: 

CALCULATE(MAX(Table3[AttributeData]),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[AttributeChild],Table3[Attribute]))

CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Table3[AttributeData]),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[AttributeChild],Table3[Attribute]))

LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[AttributeData],Table3[Attribute],Table1[AttributeChild])

MAXX(
    CALCULATETABLE(
        Table3,
        USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[AttributeChild],Table3[Attribute])
    ),
    Table3[AttributeData]
)

CALCULATE(
    MAX(Table3[AttributeData]),
    TREATAS(
        VALUES('Table1'[AttributeChild]),
        Table3[Attribute]
    )
) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks @BA_Pete 

@Zyg_D Does the following work for you?

1.PNG2.PNG

Column =
CALCULATE (
    MINX (
        Table1,
        RELATED ( Table3[AttributeData] )
    ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( Table1[AttributeChild], Table3[Attribute] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[AttributeChild] )
)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Zyg_D 

I don't think you need to create a relationship between table2 and table3, just remove this relationship and keep active for the relationship between table1 and table3.

or just use lookupvalue function to create a column as below:

Calculate Column = LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[AttributeData], Table3[Attribute], Table1[Attribute Child])

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-lili6-msft wrote:

hi @Zyg_D 

I don't think you need to create a relationship between table2 and table3, just remove this relationship and keep active for the relationship between table1 and table3.

or just use lookupvalue function to create a column as below:

Calculate Column = LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[AttributeData], Table3[Attribute], Table1[Attribute Child])

Regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin (@v-lili6-msft), for digging into the problem. the LOOKUPVALUE that you suggested is exactly like one of my tries which you can find above and which failed in my case. However, the suggestion to reorder my relationships may work too. I thought about it myself, it's just that I fear I would need to rework many things which are already dependent on these relationships. 

AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks @BA_Pete 

1.PNG2.PNG

Column =
CALCULATE (
    MINX (
        Table1,
    ),
)
Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@AntrikshSharma wrote:

Thanks @BA_Pete 

1.PNG2.PNG

Column =
CALCULATE (
    MINX (
        Table1,
    ),
)

@AntrikshSharma  - You are the true Power BI hero, man! Many superusers and Microsoft staff failed... and you did it! It's increadible! Too bad that I can only give one thumb up 🙂 Cheers! 

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Zyg_D 

For a measure, try:

Measure = CALCULATE(MAX(table3[AttributeData]), TREATAS(VALUES(table1[AttributeChild]), table3[Attribute])

If you prefer a calculated column for table1:

Column = LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[AttributeData], Table3[Attribute], Table1[Attribute Child])

result.JPG

Btw, why do you need a two-directional cross filtering in many-to-one relationships?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

@Zyg_D ,

Below is the  screen shot only based on relationship.

Step 1: Create the relationship like below screen shot.

Step 2: Directly take all columns from table 1 and simply take AttributeData from Table3. (refer screen shot 2).

Step 3: If you want to achieve using a dax so write column : CALCULATE(MAX(Table3[AttributeData])). (Refer screen shot 3).

1 (Relationship)1 (Relationship)223 (DAX Column)3 (DAX Column)

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Zyg_D ,

If you want a physical column in Table 1 then just perform a merge in Power Query on Table1[AttributeChild] and Tble3[Attribute].

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@BA_Pete wrote:

Hi @Zyg_D ,

If you want a physical column in Table 1 then just perform a merge in Power Query on Table1[AttributeChild] and Tble3[Attribute].

Pete

Thank you, Pete. This would work, but not always (e.g. some tables or columns in question may be calculated in DAX). So, I would like to receive an answer in DAX or a decent explanation of why a simple lookup is nearly impossible in DAX. 

@Zyg_D 

Good point re: calculated columns etc.

I'll pass over to the DAX heroes:

@Greg_Deckler  @AntrikshSharma  @vanessafvg  @PaulDBrown  @tex628  @EricHulshof  @Tahreem24  @amitchandak  @dedelman_clng  @OwenAuger  @mahoneypat  @nandukrishnavs  @TomMartens  @mwegener  @edhans 

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.