Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dora
Helper II
Helper II

Making the Time in to same format

Dear All

I need to make below showing all the transaction time values in to 12 hours format.

time.png

I used following code but it gives me errors

try Text.From([Transaction Time])
otherwise
Text.Middle(Text.From([Tme]),0,1) & ":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([Tme]),1,2) &":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([Tme]),3,2)

Would really appreciate some help on this. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Dora

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

Thank You

But I am getting errors as follows:

output.png

View solution in original post

so I try to change the transaction time from following code

if Text.Length([Transaction Time])>6 then [Transaction Time]

else

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),0,2) & ":" &

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),2,2) &":" &

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),4,2)

but It didn`t give the required output.

Hi @Dora,

It seems like that there exists some special formats. Like7597, it should be 075907. Right?

For this scenario, my solution will not work. And if there are not many errors. I would suggest you to change the initial Time to the required format manually at Excel file side. I think it will be the easiest method.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

16 REPLIES 16
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What is the source format and what is the intended output format? It's not really clear from your post.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

source is in Time Format ,I need the all Time rows without errors and in 12 hours format.

Expected outputExpected output 

Hi @Dora,

Check this:

I have imported part of your data as sample:

11.PNG

1. Convert the second Transaction Time column to text type. Then Add a new custom column to format the values under second Time column to 6 digits with expressions like:

if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=5 then "0"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=4 then "00"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=3 then "000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=2 then "0000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=1 then "00000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else [Transaction Time.1]

22.PNG

2. Add another new custom column and use Text.Middle() function to get the desired time format.

Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),0,2) & ":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),2,2) &":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),4,2)

33.PNG

3. Simply convert this new Result Column to Time type.

44.PNG

The entire Power Query is:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\data.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Amount", type number}, {"Transaction Date", type date}, {"Transaction Date_1", Int64.Type}, {"Transaction Time", type text}, {"Transaction Time_2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Transaction Time_2", "Transaction Time.1"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Transaction Time.1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "New Time", each if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=5 then "0"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=4 then "00"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=3 then "000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=2 then "0000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else if Text.Length([Transaction Time.1])=1 then "00000"&Text.From([Transaction Time.1]) 
else [Transaction Time.1]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Result", each Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),0,2) & ":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),2,2) &":" &
Text.Middle(Text.From([New Time]),4,2)),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Result", type time}})
in
    #"Changed Type2"

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi,

Thank You

But I am getting errors as follows:

output.png

Hi @Dora,

It seems like that there exists some special formats. Like7597, it should be 075907. Right?

For this scenario, my solution will not work. And if there are not many errors. I would suggest you to change the initial Time to the required format manually at Excel file side. I think it will be the easiest method.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi @v-xjiin-msft

Yes, that is the issue.  Thank you

Hi @Dora,

Did you resolve your issue? If so, please kindly mark the corresponding reply. It will help others with relevant issues find the answer more easily.

If not, please feel free to tell me.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Still Searching for a way to do it at once.If Cannot I am hoping to format excel as you said.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

Dora

so I try to change the transaction time from following code

if Text.Length([Transaction Time])>6 then [Transaction Time]

else

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),0,2) & ":" &

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),2,2) &":" &

Text.Middle(Text.From([Transaction Time]),4,2)

but It didn`t give the required output.

Hi,

You are getting the error there because there is no space between the time stamp and AM.  Insert a space in the Excel file and all will work well.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

No ,There is space between time stamp and AM.I need to make the Transaction Time into AM,PM Format.

d1.png

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download your Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Hi,

Sorry, i do not think i can help.  Someone else will help you.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

ok ,thank you

Do any one know about this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.