Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mmainza
Frequent Visitor

Make visual blank/display instructions until other visual selected to filter

Caught this report used by a journalist to track FRPL over time in New York.

Notice how the timeseries visual is not only blank until the other visual is selected to filter, but it displays prominent instructions in the center.

Anyone know how the author is creating this setup? Can't figure it out.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/More-Capital-Region-students-are-qualifying-for-12497790.php

pbiFiltering.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmainza,

I created a sample pbix file for your reference. Smiley Happy

Mainly, you'll need to use ISFILTERED function create two measures.

Show Text = IF(ISFILTERED(Products[Category]),"","Select a category in chart above to see its trend!")
Show Sales = IF(ISFILTERED(Products[Category]),[Total Sales])

Then show [Show Text] on the Card visual(with Category Label Off).

And show [Show Sales] on the Line Chart.

r2.PNGr3.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can We Use the filtered measure on the card (visualization with a sum value)? I am not able to apply the filter. Can anyone please help me?

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmainza,

I created a sample pbix file for your reference. Smiley Happy

Mainly, you'll need to use ISFILTERED function create two measures.

Show Text = IF(ISFILTERED(Products[Category]),"","Select a category in chart above to see its trend!")
Show Sales = IF(ISFILTERED(Products[Category]),[Total Sales])

Then show [Show Text] on the Card visual(with Category Label Off).

And show [Show Sales] on the Line Chart.

r2.PNGr3.PNG

Regards

I followed this solution and works perfectly for measures. Can something simlar be applied for individual results?

My visual contains cards that I would like to be blank until they select a job from a list. The visual would then show for example who the client was for that job. The card works fine in my report but when nothing is selected from the slicer it reports back the first "client" from the list and I would prefer it to be blank if possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  I am also having the same issue. Did you find solution for that. Please let me know how to overcome this issue.

no not yet, sems to only work with measures and not straight tabular data. Will start a specific thread for it I think

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73 Thank you for making it clear. If possible, could you please provide the exact Measure to get that functionality. Thank you in advance.

Hi. I find that if I used a data entry in the code below it does not allow it, they do not list in the selectable items when typing where it says Calculate("07_workflow......). I then made a measure to sum up my estimated time. Once I did that it shows up in the list of acceptable to select when typing in "'07_workflow......". Hope that explains?

The isfiltered(item) is the item I have in my slicer. So when the slicer of "Job summary" is not clicked it returns a no calculation. Once selected it calculates the measure. 

Time Est = if(isfiltered('02_Job List'[[Job]] Job Summary]),CALCULATE('07_Workflow Time Report'[Time Est Sum]))

I then made the following measure and apply it to a card. I put that behind my table. Table is blank and this text shows until someone selects something

Show Text = if(isfiltered('02_Job List'[[Job]] Job Summary]),"","Select Job")

This window is not allowing me to upload an image of my report 😞

I think a solution might be to create a measure that selects the text values I am trying to blank out. I will look in to that next

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73 Thank you for your response. This is somewhat similar to what I am looking for but still I am not able to get the result I wanted. let me explain my issue in detail,

•  I have a concatenated column named "Column 4"
  • I use this "Column 4" in a "Text Filter" (it is a custom slicer)
  • Below the custom slicer there is a table which has columns, used to create "Column 4". Out of these columns, there is one column for the "URL"s

My requirement is "When I enter some thing in the custom slicer, that data should be filtered from the entire data. And when I clear the data in the custom slicer then a blank table should show up." For that I created a CARD using the following measure. 

Make Transparent = IF(ISFILTERED(Table Name[Column 4] ), "#FFFFFF00", " ").

By using this measure I can get the desired result. But the issue is when I filter something and if it has a URL, then I am not able to click on that URL because of a CARD on top of the TABLE .

I just did this in my report. I made a measure for various card results that I want after the selection is made.

Summary = if(hasonevalue('02_Job List'[[Job]] Job Summary]),values('02_Job List'[[Job]] Job Summary]),"")

So now in the image all the boxes on the left are blank until a selection is made. 

blank 2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  Does this query will bring the table forward and move card backwhen data is filtered?

Youu provided me two measures, which one should I use to fulfill my requirement?

It does yes. Both measures are needed as it is two items on the report. I did select "bringto front" on the table but I dont think it matters.

The "Select job" measure has a value when nothing is selected and is then blank when something is then selected. The other measure is the opposite, so they swap over, showing values as soon as something is selected for the table. Note I did a measure for all items within the table that I used.

I will upload my file for you shortly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  Your file helps me to explain my issue. In your file, in the Table visual you inserted Card on top of the table and the size of the card is smaller. If you increase the size of the Card to the size of the Table and select something in the slicer, then you will get the values filtered in the table. But when you hover on those filtered values, you will lose the clickability. 

In my case I have an URL in the table and because of inserting card on top of the table I am not able to click on the URL's I have. 

Also can I know how you got that empty table before selection and how you are getting the filetred values from the empty table when something is selected?

I will try to explain what I did. aMd if you follow in the file I uploaded it shoudl hopefully make sense.

To start with my table orginally had the values for "Time Est Sum". This was a measure that simply "sum" of: 

Time Est Sum = sum('07_Workflow Time Report'[Time estimated calc])

This value would not mask at all and would return the total values until something was selected.

BTW

The Time Est calc is a column added for the table as my data exports time in an hour format, so I had to use the following to make it decimal:

Time estimated calc = 24 * '07_Workflow Time Report'[[Task]] Allocated Time] -24

What I did next to solve this was make a new measure which you will see called "Time Est". This uses this thread to filter with the slicer as follows:
Time Est = if(isfiltered('02_Job List'[[Job]] Job Summary]),CALCULATE('07_Workflow Time Report'[Time Est Sum]))

So in summary in my case. I started with values. Added a column to adjust the value to decimal (you would not need this). This was my original table. I then Made a measure to sum this value which basically returned the same value that I already had. I added another measure to "isfiltered" the measure.
It does not work with just the value column, I could only select the measure one I created that. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  Here I inserted two images from your file. 

• In the first one I just selected one value from the slicer(from your file) and when I hover over those filtered values I am able to see that particular value(Job Administration) as a tool tip. 
  • In the second case I increased the size of a Card which you inserted on the top of table. I made card size equal to the size of table. Now when I select any values from the filter and hover over those filtered values, I am not able to see the tool tip like the previous one(Job Administration) because of Card on top of the table. 

In my case I have a column which contains URL's and I want to click on that URL. But this card is stopping from being able to click on that. Hope you better understand my scenario now.

Alas I have only been using Power BI for 3 months and do not know the answer and have never used URL's in my tables.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  Okay, Thank you for your support till this point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pmorg73  Thank you for making it clear. If possible, could you please provide the exact Measure to get that functionality. Thank you in advance.

Perfect!

Now I have the excuse to play around with ISFILTERED. Thank you!

Separate question - is there a way to control hover interactions between visuals? For example, in Tableau you can set whether a viz hovers on top or behind the others? Currently, my card viz gets hidden by the line viz. Other times it doesn't, but I can't figure out why it works when it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.