Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lasselakan
Advocate III
Advocate III

Make measure ignore specific filter

This should be simple but I just can’t solve it 🙂
I have a report page with several filters and a measure Amounts = SUM(Table.Amount). Now I’d like Amounts to ignore just one of the filters, a Page filter on Table.ShippingDate. By ignore I mean that Amounts should calculate as if that filter doesn’t exist. How to do this using DAX? I’ve tried everything I can think of using CALCULATE ALL, ALLEXCEPT, FILTER etc. but nothing seem to work.
Can anybody help me?

--- EDIT ---

I've narrowed this problem down something I've illustrated clearly in this Power BI report. Please check it out and see if you can understand why Bookmark 1-problem occurs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PqKp5wjAEwHuL2UU-gUjFb39WrVas4qn/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is not really an issue. It is clearly explained in this article from Alberto. It is happening because of Auto Exist feature in DAX.

Besides, creating a seperate dimension table is not really a workaround, but rather a best practice. A Star Schema is always considered best when working with Power BI Datamodel. This is what makes it more powerful!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
PaulDBrown
Super User
Super User

How about something along the lines of:

ignore filter  ‘column x’= IF(ISFILTERED(‘table[column x]), [measure 1], [measure 2])

if you don’t want to compute [measure 1], you can substitute it for BLANK() for example.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks, but I don’t see how ISFILTERED could solve this problem!? Can you illustrate how you’d successfully apply it in the example file I posted above?

Hey buddy, did you solve this problem? I'm facing the same issue on PowerBI, I have two different data segmentation filter (on date columns 'A' and 'B') and I need to completely ignore one of filters on measure, using DAX, because my measure is used on other formulas.

How could we solve this problem?

I think ISFILTERED function doesn't work because regardless of the column 'A' is filtered or not, I need to ignore filter only on that column 'A'.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe what you want is the Column variant of the ALL function. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634795.aspx

ALL (Column[, Column[, …]])Removes all filters from the specified columns in the table; all other filters on other columns in the table still apply. All column arguments must come from the same table.

The ALL(Column) variant is useful when you want to remove the context filters for one or more specific columns and to keep all other context filters.

Therefore,:

Measure = CALCULATE([Amounts],ALL(Table[ShippingDate]))

That *should* ignore any filters on Table[ShippingDate] and preserve all other filters.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Check out my External Tool for Power BI Desktop! Microsoft Hates Greg's Quick Measures
YouTube Channel! Microsoft Hates Greg
Check out my latest book!

Hi again

I thought so too, but in this specific case it doesn't seem to work. I narrowed it down to understand that it has to do with another filter being involved somehow!? I've created a file that illustrates this very easily with bookmarks. (Righ click and "Save link as...")

Download Power BI-file

Hi @Lasselakan,

Please click Format on Home page->Edit interactions->select the None(highlighted in bule line), let the ShippingDate filter does not affect the visual. It will return correct result as follows.

2.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Unfortunately that’s not a solution for me. I need to solve this in DAX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.