Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

Make email addresses functional mailto links

One of my visualizations includes contact info for customer and I was wondering if it is possible to make the email column into clickable urls that start a new email? 

I have tried using data category to make it url but does not seem to work. 

Anybody have some direction for me?

Thanks a lot. 

Capture.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
PC-BI
Frequent Visitor

Hi @gaiusgw,

I'm sure you've sorted this by now, but in case any one else comes across this post, here's what I did:

• Right click on the data source on the right and select New Column
  • enter the DAX to concatenate 'mailto:' before the email address: 

Email link = CONCATENATE("mailto:", DataSource[Email])​

• Select the table that you are displaying the email address in
  • Go over to Format your visual
    PCBI_1-1711106106102.png
  • Scroll down to Cell elements and expand it
  • Select 'Email' from the dropdown under the Series heading
  • Turn on Web URL
  • Click the fx button and choose the newly created 'Email link' column under 'What field should we base this on?' heading
  • Click OK
  • The emails should now show as links and can be clicked on when published

Things to note

• If you have multiple email addresses in a cell at the source, they should be separated by semicolons ;  - your chosen email program may throw an error otherwise
  • If the process above hasn't worked, check that both the email and email link columns are set to uncategorised in the data category PCBI_2-1711106391117.png

Good luck 🙂

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gaiusgw ,

Please add "mailto:" to the mail address:

Email = CONCATENATE("mailto:",'Table'[Mail])

Vlianlmsft_0-1650335921651.png

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Adding mailto: in front of emails in an added column does work but it is not the most elegent solution persay. And any lines that do not have an email will appear as just mailto:. It would be strange if powerbi cannot recognize emails and make them clickable. 

Hi @gaiusgw ,

Try work with IF function.

IF(ISBLANK([Mail]),BLANK(),CONCATENATE("mailto:",'Table'[Mail]))

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That did not work. mailto still appeared. Perhaps because those empty cells really have space characters? 

davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @gaiusgw, There is an element that might need to be turned on in the visualization settings, see below.

davehus_0-1649890844784.png

Hmm, i do not have that panel as far as I can tell. I am on version 2.91.7 and honestly nervous to update. 

Here is what my panel looks like. 

on another note, if i did update, do you know of any place i can download the version i have now? I have search for archives but cannot fine one. 

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.