cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulChandler New Member

Re: Make a column not sum/count

Hi

am trying to compare a tender sum and a final cost on a series of projects - any suggestions how best to do this?

MHongisto Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is your data in different tables? If so, make sure your cross filter direction is set up both ways in the relationship view. I have one table with sales data, one with purchasing data and one project data. All have project ID number in them and relations go from one to another with cross filtering set in "both". If the cross filtering is "single", my sales amount values were shown as counted, not as per sales ID.

RBilton Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This helped on some columns that were marked number and when I switched t it to text, it removed the sum.  Thanks.  However not working on all of my columns.

RBilton Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Perfect!  That was the answer.   Thanks so much for posting. Your answer keeps on giving!

RodgerB Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I've been beating my head up against a wall.  I have a revenue total in one table, and an average in another table.  Both are joined via a table with common fields.  They work, as I can drag the fields from the common field, and everything works as it should.

No matter what I do, when I drag the average field from one table to a combo chart line value, it ALWAYS sums.  I've tried the above help and told it not to summarize, but now it counts.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Rodger

K_Altman Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for the reponse - it makes a ton of sense. The issue I'm experiencing is there is "Don't Summarize" option.

The options listed are:

- Sum

- Average

- Minimum

- Maximum

- Count (Distinct)

- Count

- Standard Deviation

- Variance

- Median

Thoughts? 

panoslaz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi all, 

I have a similar problem. 

I imported 2 datasets, fixed the relationships and made sure the fields I need are formated as decimals. 

In 1st dataset I have project name and Metric1 and in the 2nd project name and Metric2. 

I want to create a scatter plot with the 2 metrics. When I try this, X Axis (metric 1) works pretty good and adjusts the position of the point according to the metric value. For metric2 though, no matter what I choose from the value drop down menu, gives me the total average/sum/count of all metric2. I choose Dont summarize but still no fix. 

Can you help?

Thanks 

K_Altman Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Can you upload a screen shot of your headers and maybe row 1 of your dataset?

Deruth58 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same issue, and found a work-around that works for me.  Not sure if it will work for everyone having this issue, but it may.   See my post here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Bug-Line-Chart-Behavior-When-Plotting-Data-Instead-Seems-to...

Doug

born2see Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Another unfortunate soul who can't get rid of the Sum of my data.  Why does this program insist on summing these numbers???  My chart is so simple. A date field and a value field.  I just want to plot them over time but this program inisists on summing my data.  I've tried everything posted here and it just doesn't work.

Any thoughts before I go find some other program?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 71 members 968 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: