Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dylanndengu
Helper I
Helper I

Make Customer Count Column using Distinct Values

Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble creating a customer count column based on the below information:

dylanndengu_0-1610013630070.png

Essentially, I would like a column where customer count is equal to 1 if the document number (last column) has a distinct number on a specific "report date" and "sold date". Please may someone assist.

Kind regards,

Dylan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dylanndengu ,

You can use the following measure :

Measure = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[report date],'Table'[sold date],"countofcustomer",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[document])),[countofcustomer])

Sample data:

Capture.PNG

Result:

Capture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@dylanndengu  Not really cleare. Based on my understanding you may create the below measure:

Measure = CALCULATE(DistinctCount(TableName[DocumentNumber]),ALLEXCEPT(TableName,TableName[ReportDate]))

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Apologies for the lack of clarity. The data I have takes into account everything a customer has bought on a specific day and assigns that transaction a number (documnetnr). The issue is if one customer buys a soda in addition to a bucket of chicken, those are recorded as 2 different transactions with the same document number. Hence, in order to calculate the actual number of customers, I need to only count distinct document numbers on a specific day, as the document numbers generated restart every 24 hours. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Hi @dylanndengu ,

You can use the following measure :

Measure = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[report date],'Table'[sold date],"countofcustomer",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[document])),[countofcustomer])

Sample data:

Capture.PNG

Result:

Capture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

This is great, thank you so much

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dylanndengu , nor very clear , Try measure like

Distinctcount(Table[documentnbr])

or

Countx(summarize(Table, Table[reportdate], table[soldate], "_1",Distinctcount(Table[documentnbr])),[_1])

Hi Amit,

Thank you for responding but I do not thing the solution will work, and it is probably due to my lack of clarity.

The data I have takes into account everything a customer has bought on a specific day and assigns that transaction a number (documnetnr). The issue is if one customer buys a soda in addition to a bucket of chicken, those are recorded as 2 different transactions with the same document number. Hence, in order to calculate the actual number of customers, I need to only count distinct document numbers on a specific day, as the document numbers generated restart every 24 hours. So you can't simply take a distinct count of the document numbers because new ones are generated every day. I'm thinking I could perhaps group by report date, sold date and document number and then do a distinct count on that? Please let me know what you think. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.