Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kthurman
Frequent Visitor

Macros for Power BI

Am I correct Power BI has no macro functionality - or a similar function?

Example "filter by x slicer, then export each visual to csv"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes you are correct, PowerBI has no procedural macro style language feature.

It does have a REST API, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/ but that is focused on service level features rather than interacting with individual visuals within a report

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
karen578
Helper I
Helper I

Hi - I realize this was closed a long time ago. Just wondering, @kthurman, did you ever come up with a solution for your example task - using a slicer and exporting to a csv? It's very similar to a task I'm trying to do now - I have a list of slicer combinations, and I want to iterate over them one at a time, print each to pdf, and combine at the end. It seems like it can be done in Power Automate, but that it would just be simpler to write a macro. 🙂 

Hi Karen, as of now I still see no macro functionality for Power BI. Unfortunately. I currently resort to manually 'filtering and downloading'

@karen578 wrote:

Hi - I realize this was closed a long time ago. Just wondering, @kthurman, did you ever come up with a solution for your example task - using a slicer and exporting to a csv? It's very similar to a task I'm trying to do now - I have a list of slicer combinations, and I want to iterate over them one at a time, print each to pdf, and combine at the end. It seems like it can be done in Power Automate, but that it would just be simpler to write a macro. 🙂 

There is still no macro language style feature in the product. Power Automate would be a good approach

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kthurman ,

AFAIK, power bi will block macros and other additional plugin. Current it only import normal workbook sheet records.(styles will been removed on get data steps)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes you are correct, PowerBI has no procedural macro style language feature.

It does have a REST API, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/ but that is focused on service level features rather than interacting with individual visuals within a report

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors