Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitexo87
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Machine hangs when opening some power bi reports

Recently my PC is crashing to the point of having to restart it, to analyze the process monitor what was causing it noticed that the Analisy services process that runs alongside the bi power was consuming over 5 gb of ram. to analyze why this be happening not found an answer, this problem happens exporadica form, and any report, whether small or large, did cleaning in my machine and reinstalled the powe bi anyway and the error persisted.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

Note: this error had never occurred before and my PC has 8gb of ram and i7 3.0 ghz

9 REPLIES 9
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@vitexo87, several questions with which I can better understand your scenarios:

1). Did you ever installed windows updates or something like that on your computer?

2). Do your Power BI reports connect to Analysis Services? If so, with Import Data or Direct Query?

@Vicky_Song @wonga

in some tabs I have a great report put even making several filters the error occurs as you can see in the image detail that only by opening the flap and get out of it before the data is displayed ja error occurs

Untitled.png

@vitexo87, did it sporadically start on your machine or was it a specific Desktop update after which you are seeing this?

Also does this reproduce for specific reports/tables or just even on an empty/simpler model. In the screenshot, you have a quite some tables in your model.

@akjana

it happens because of a report of this dashboard

@vitexo87, thanks for the info. Sounds like a bug in the product, can you Send- A - Frown (See the simle/frown face in the title bar)

All the machine updates have been made and I am the most current version of power bi installed and I always use and only importing data never DirectQuery

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Sounds like a potential memory leak in one application or another. I'd assume you tried restarting your computer to clear out your RAM or whatnot.

Yes, I did all the standard procedures as described above and as informed the process that is consuming is Analisy services, the question is why sometimes it consumes all this memory and not others? and how to avoid it?

Power BI runs a version of SQLServer Analysis Services behind the scenes which is a server optimised app, not a desktop app - it assumes it's the only thing running on your machine and so doesn't handle low-memory conditions very nicely.

Best to increase your RAM to 16GB+ if you're wrangling large reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.