Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IrishChristof
Frequent Visitor

MTD to match the period last year

Hi, I'm trying to devise a method whereby I can compare MTD versus the same period last year.. but it needs to be the same period in terms of days.. 

eg: today is the 13th September, MTD would be sales made from Sunday 1st September to Friday 13th September.

but as we have slower trading days on a Sunday, i need to compare against the same period last year which would be Sunday 2nd September to Friday 14th September.

My MTD formula works a treat

=TOTALMTD ( SUM (BookingTable[Total Revenue] ),CallDate[Date] )

But when i attempted a SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR formula, it was doing Saturday 1st September to Thursday 13th September

=CALCULATE ( [NetRevenueMTD], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR (CallDate[Date]))

I thought i could use the DATEADD formula to move everything on one day, but that didnt work and instead gave me Saturday 1st September to Friday 14th September!

=CALCULATE ( [NetRevenueMTD], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR (DATEADD(CallDate[Date] ,+1,DAY )))

If it helps, I have a field on my "CallDate" table that shows the equivalent date of last year.

calldate.png

So not sure if this can be used to any effect.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually in the second set of formula, I should have added one not subtracted 

MTD.

Year 364 MTD = 
Var _end_date= max('Date'[Date Filer])-364
Var  _start_date =minx(ALLSELECTED('Date'),STARTOFMONTH('Date'[Date Filer]))-364

Var _last_year_mtd_val= CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),Sales[Sales Date] >= _start_date && (Sales[Sales Date]) <= _end_date)
return
_last_year_mtd_val

To Test , You can return _start_date & " and " & _end_date and check dates

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Can you try something like this 

Year 364 = 
Var  _start_date =min('Date'[Date Filer])-364

Var _last_year_val= CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),Sales[Sales Date] >= _start_date && (Sales[Sales Date]) <= _end_date)
return
_last_year_val

Date here is marked at the date in power bi

Thanks for this.. 

I applied it into my model in the following way...

=Var _end_date= MAX('CallDate'[Date])-364
Var  _start_date =MIN('CallDate'[Date])-364

Var _last_year_val= TOTALMTD ( SUM (BookingTable[Total Revenue] ),CallDate[Date] >= _start_date && (CallDate[Date]) <= _end_date)
return
_last_year_val

but it still doesnt give me what i need, it seems to be giving me a MTD still with the 1st day of the month last year included.

All being well, the two yellow rows should reconcile.. but as you can see they do, with the exception of day1.

(*Rec - is the difference in Total MTD Revenue for Last Year compared to previous day)

calldate.png

It only seems to be the £115,397 that's the problem, as the other MTD total is incrimenting by the amount I would expect.

Hope that all makes sense.

All being well, the NetRevenueMTDLY figure would match the RevenueLast7DaysLY figure on the 7th September.

For me, your initial formula also working. Just check the date filter at dim or fact

last year day = CALCULATE(min(Sales[Sales Date]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATEADD('Date'[Date Filer],-1,DAY)))
Last Year Same Week Day Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATEADD('Date'[Date Filer],-1,DAY)))

See data comparison

Screenshot 2019-09-14 15.48.17.png

I am confused by this, surely Friday 28th June 2019 equivalent date is Friday 29th June 2018, and therefore the 'Last Year Same Week Day Sales' should be 407 and not 118.

I got Last Year day sales working fine, i just wanted to know if there is a way i can have MTD Sales.

So when I refresh the report on Monday, i have a cell saying MTD sales in X, and the same period last year was Y (the same period being Sun 2nd Sept to Sun 16th Sept - NOT 1st to 15th)

Actually in the second set of formula, I should have added one not subtracted 

MTD.

Year 364 MTD = 
Var  _start_date =minx(ALLSELECTED('Date'),STARTOFMONTH('Date'[Date Filer]))-364

Var _last_year_mtd_val= CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),Sales[Sales Date] >= _start_date && (Sales[Sales Date]) <= _end_date)
return
_last_year_mtd_val

To Test , You can return _start_date & " and " & _end_date and check dates

Superb, thank you so much!!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@IrishChristof I had solution posted here for the similar question

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.