Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mikemohr1

MS Access Data Format Error

Hi The MS Power BI tool was working well when I had it linked to my MS Access 2016 Office 365 software. But since the July update (and now even when i revert back to June update) as soon as I refresh the link i get this error:

"DataFormatError: The database you are trying to open requries a newer version of Microsoft Access."

Help? What can I do because I am dead in the water with MS Power BI tool

Thanks

Mike

11 REPLIES 11
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mikemohr1,

After research, this issue might occur if you try to open a database that contains a table that uses the BigInt data type. To resolve this issue, determine whether the use of BigInt is required. If so, update users to Access 2016 version 16.0.7xxx.xxxx or later. Alternatively, change the data type from Large Number to just Number. For more details, please see this article.

By the way, can you directly open the db file in MS Access?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Thanks for the idea, but I'm the only user in this test environment. I made and use the underlying MS Access database all the time and works perfectly, no issues. The Power BI was working up until the June update and when the MS Store helped me put the May update back on, we still have the issue. I do not have any BigInt number format that I know of, just normal Double or Long Interger format.

Other idea?

THanks

Mike

HI now I understand so I checked all the many tables I have in the database, all the fields with numbers are in Data Type: Number...every one of them

Other idea?

Thanks

Hi @mikemohr1,

So, you can directly open the accdb file in MS Access 2016 Office 365, right? To determine, whether the problem is caused by accdb file or by Power BI desktop, would you please try to connect to this db file in Power Pivot? Also, please recreate a new db file with some simple data, then, connect to this new file in desktop to see whether error perists?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI

Thank you again for your kind help. Yes I can use the MS Access 2016 Office 365 no problem. If I make a new generic table in my database, Power BI will not link to it but gives me the message that MS Access is outdated (which was not the case in May Power BI release). If I make a new Power BI file and try to connect back to the MS Access, it doesn't work - same Error Message.

But if I make a new MS Access database using the same MS Access 2016 Office 365 and add a test table, Power BI links to it just fine. If I copy my original query in the MS Access 2016 Office 365 and using it as a Make Table query, save it to a new blank MS Access 2016, then reference the same same Power BI file, all works fine. 

So it does look like my real database does have an issue sine the June Power Bi update even though I use MS Access 2016 Office 365 to open and work with it just fine. I just don't know why or what the problem is becuase now my solution is to change all my database queries to which Power BI is built off of to Make Table queries that copy to a new dummy database, the change the reference of all my Power BI charts etc, all works well.

Just a huge hassel and a short term solution for the moment. Any thoughts to this helps for sure.

Thank you for your kind thoughts in advance

Mike

Hi @mikemohr1,

In the original pbix file which prompts error when attempting to open it, did someone make any change to the data source query?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi

No it is just me on my MS Surface Pro3 and the software. And I tried a new Power BI file linking to the database as a fresh start and I still get the same message that the MS Access version is outdated. But if I start a new Power BI file and link to a new MS Acess database it works...same version and everything.

Thanks

Mike

Hi @mikemohr1,

Now, Power BI desktop August update has been released. Have you tried the new version to see whether issue persists?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi

Thanks for trying to help me. I just downloaded the newest version of Power BI and the problem is still there

Help?

Other ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Hi @mikemohr1,

Unfortunately, I didn't find any valid solution to this problem. Could you create a support ticket for more advice?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've encountered the exact same issue when connecting to MSAccess database. Did we get a solution to this by any chance? 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.