Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ericOnline
Post Patron
Post Patron

MEASURE: Sum/Avg with Condition Question

Hello,

I'm trying to create a measure that calculates the rank in one table based on conditions in another table. 

Example:

Here are the tables and relationship:

image.png

The measure I have now to calculate Budget Rank is:

Budget Rank = 
   SUMX(
       METRICS, 
       (AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET1_RANK])) +
       (AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET2_RANK]))
    )
    /2

This measure is attached to a simple card on the dashboard.

User clicks a record in the Rollup table (Table visual) and the Card reflects the selected position's budget rank. (This doesn't seem to give reliable results though). 

I need to compare ONLY those with the same Job Title as the selected record

Ideally, I need to compare those in the same Dept or Territory as well.
Questions:

- Would I need a separate measure for each Job Title (and each Dept, Territory) or is there a way to set Selected.Job_Title somehow in the measure?

- What would a measure like this look like?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @ericOnline 

When you click a record in the Rollup table (Table visual), it will filter other fields in the table visual too, not just Job Title field, so you'd better use a slicer instead it.

And if possible, could you please share your sample pbix file and your expected output? that will be a great help.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft . The Table selection filters many things on the screen. Its a logical "slicer" to use as it shows the Name/JobTitle/etc. 

I can't share the .pbix file here as it contains private information. 

Any other ideas on how to get this measure put together?

hi  @ericOnline 

If possible, could you please use dummy data to create a sample pbix file, that will be a great help.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ericOnline
Post Patron
Post Patron

For example, here is the problem I'm running into when using...

Budget Rank = 
   SUMX(
       METRICS, 
       (CALCULATE(AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET_RANK1]), ROLLUP[JOB_TITLE])) +
       (CALCULATE(AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET_RANK2]), ROLLUP[JOB_TITLE]))
    )
    /2

...results in an error showin on the Card with details:

Error Message:
MdxScript(Model) (7, 72) Calculation error in measure 'METRICS'[Budget_Rank1]: Cannot convert value 'Supervisor' of type Text to type True/False.

How can I write the measure in a generic enough way so that the Job_Title = the selected Job_Title in the Rollup Table vis?

Darn! Thought I had it with...

Budget Rank = 
   SUMX(
       METRICS, 
       (CALCULATE(AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET_RANK1]), SELECTEDVALUE(ROLLUP[JOB_TITLE]))) +
       (CALCULATE(AVERAGEA(METRICS[BUDGET_RANK2]), SELECTEDVALUE(ROLLUP[JOB_TITLE])))
    )
    /2

... but this results in the error:

image.png

Any other ideas?

Here is a related post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculated-Measure-with-conditions/m-p/1084638/highlight/tr...

Basically, how do I create a dynamic filter based on user selection?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.