Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAX of DATE in LOOKUP

Hey I have 2 tables:  Hires, Terms,

HIRES:

ID  HIRE DATE

1    8/17

1    8/25

2    9/1

2    9/31

TERMS:

ID       TERM_DATE

1         8/20

1         8/31

2        9/10

2        10/3

I want to do a look up by bringing the hire_date into the TERMS table by checking the "ID". However, since these ID's have 2 hire dates but same ID again, I woud like to consider only the max hire date of the person so that he is counted only once instead of twice.

Is there a way this can be done?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try following, change the table name as per your model.

HireDate = CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[HireDate] ), FILTER( Table1, Table1[Id] = Table2[Id] ) )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please try this...

HireDate = CALCULATE(MAX(Hires[HireDate]),FILTER(Hires,Hires[ID]=EARLIER(Terms[ID]))) 

image.png

Here, I've assumed you have a proper date in HireDate field in Hires table. If that is not the case, the data contains only MM/DD format as mentioned then the logic will be different as it will be in text format..

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PattemManohar Hey, I think that earlier[id] does not work. The other formula worked correctly.

Thanks!

@Anonymous Not sure why it didn't work for you. I've also attached the screenshot of the same.

Anyway, you got it worked !! That's cool !!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try following, change the table name as per your model.

HireDate = CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[HireDate] ), FILTER( Table1, Table1[Id] = Table2[Id] ) )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.