Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrothschild
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

MATRIX - drill up with custom sub-totals

PBIX file

I have a Matrix using a specific set of Measures to return intended results when the rows are fully drilled down.  What I'd like is to be able to drill up and return sub-totals (which are already displayed in full drill down), so that the bottom panel of the below screenshot will show the Matrix with the data displayed as the table below.  

I suspect that ISINSCOPE() or HASONEVALUE() 

may be the keys to this, but not familiar with their programming architecture.

CollapserFormatted Balance Sh. . . .20182019
6Assets  
6Total Assets$300,017$1,020,575
6Liabiliites and Equity  
6Total Liabilities  
6Equity  
6Total Liabilities and Equity$109,368$586,428

Ideally, I'd be able to drill up further, and show all rows where collapser is 6 or 7, etc. but if I can just get it to 6, then that would be fine for now.

Thanks!

collapser.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe you want this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Matrix-Measure-Total-Triple-Threat-Rock-amp-...

But here is my standard answer to measure total problems:

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for this, I'm getting oh so close.  I had to make some minor tweaks to the Triple Threat Measure, and when drilled up, I'm getting sub-totals to work as intended, EXCEPT, for rows that I don't want displayed when drilled up.  I've changed the [collapser] column so the data is 1,2,3,4,999 and when drilled up, I only want to show 1,2,3,4.  If I remove the 999 and leave it blank and then turn off blanks, then it won't show when drilled down.

Any suggestions?

Hi @mrothschild 

We have no access to your pbix file.

If your pbix file contains no privacy data, you could upload it to OneDrive and share the link with me.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, here's a Dropbox Link that should work

Hi @mrothschild 

Do you mean when you drill down, the matrix shows correct values, but when drill up, the matrix doesn't show correct "subtotal" value for the row (1,2,3,4)?

Capture7.JPGCapture8.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.