Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajulshah
Super User
Super User

MAP showing wrong locations

I am having some issues regarding plotting of locations in Power BI Maps using postal codes.

I have a column where I have concatenated Country name and postal code in format as "CountryName,PostalCode".
Earlier it worked very well but now it just cannot plot the location.

I tried plotting them using only postal codes , but still it couldn't plot the location , instead it plots location in
another country as postal codes are not unique worldwide.

Can anyone help me suggesting the format on how to pass postal codes with the country name to plot on Power BI Maps?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HDuva

I found the solution on https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-visualation-show-wrong-locations-after-update/m-p/20846...

1 - Upgrade to June 30th

2- In the datasource query editor, I created a custom column with this formula =Text.Combine({[Address],[City],[Country]}, ", ")

3 - In the Modeling Tab of PBI Desktop, I configured the data category for the new custom Column as type Place.

4 - Use the new custom column as location for the Map Control.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rajulshah

Which kind of map do you use? Could you share the data which is not shown correctly in your visualization for further analysis? There are some tips to help create map visual, please review: Tips and Tricks for Power BI Map visualizations.

Best Regards,
Angelia

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Not 100% what you are doing, but I just had to make these changes to get a County fill map to work.  The Merged data column including the word 'County' in the merged data worked!  Hope this helps a little...

FOrrest

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've seen a couple posts about this. Power BI uses Bing Maps to geocode so I wonder if something changed on the Bing Maps side to cause some of these issues.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Numerous countries and cities aren't showing up on maps, it has been happening off and on for quite some time. It would be nice to get an official acknowledgement from Microsoft so users with dashboards that rely on PowerBI maps can determine potential solutions. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.