Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lp4034
Frequent Visitor

MAP showing wrong locations when using counties

My company is based in the New England area in USA and I'm attempting to create a map visual which shows sales by either zip code, state or county.   Many of our county names are the same as areas in Great Britain and when I drill down to county, the map shows my locations in Great Britain.  When I review by state, the map works fine and only shows the New England states.  I have created a hierarchy of Country, State, County, City, Zip Code, so I assumed drilling into county would work as the country is part of the heirarchy.  I have also tried concatenating a string of "county" + ", United States" but that hasn't worked either.  I'm a new user, so there is probably a simple answer for this, but I've been unable to put this heirarchy together in a way which allows the counties to be aware of their appropriate country. 

Thanks for the help!

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lp4034,

Please refer to power-bi-map-tips-and-tricks#in-the-dataset-tips-to-improve-the-underlying-dataset

1. Create a new calculated column.

Country = "United States"

2. Add two columns in the "Location".

MAP_showing_wrong_locations_when_using_counties

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the feedback Dale, and I took your advice and built a map visual using the county field and the country field as location.  However, the map still thinks Plymouth county (for example) is in Great Britain (along with a dozen others).  I'm not sure why it is not recognizing the country.  I have defined the county column as data type "county" and country column as data type "country".  If I then add in the zip code to the location, the map looks correct and it all maps into the United States fine (at Country level or zip code level).  But even with this setup, I can't drill down into the county level--it goes back to Great Britain.

The only alternative I have been able to make work is to concatenate county and country as in  "Plymouth, United States" and use a data type of "place".  This maps perfectly--but then I lose my ability to have a geo-hierarchy that I can drill up and down within. 

Hi @lp4034,

Can you share your file? Just the geographic data is needed.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Below is a link to my territory file.  It contains only the New England area--and only the locations we need within New England--so it is small.  The "MyPlace" column was used in my attempt to concatenate County and Country instead of using the Country, State, County, City, Zipcode hierarchy.  Only the county level gives me trouble regardless of whether I use "MyPlace" or the territory hierarchy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_4-Xa3o6I6B-2Dzh1YnYhLrLP4sYkg58

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Hi @lp4034,

Please check out the demo in the attachment. The lowest level of the hierarchy should be marked as "Place". 

MPA

I will still remind you about the privacy.

Best Regards,

Dale

Thank you for the demo Dale.  The demo looks like it is using Country, State and City which works great. However, I cannot make the County work.  For example, I can have sales which are in the city of Boston which is in the county of Suffolk which is in the state of Massachusetts which is in the country of United States.  I would like to be able to see my sales in Boston, then see my sales for all of Suffolk county (which contains many cities), then see my sales for all of Massachusetts (which contains many counties).  For some reason, even when I use United States as the country, I cannot see my sales at the county level--the map always assumes my counties are in Great Britain instead of the United States.  It's an odd issue and perhaps a bug with the map. 

Thank you again for you help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors