Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BalaVenuGopal
Resolver I
Resolver I

M language or DAX While data loading

Hi All ,

Could you plese suggest.

While loading my data to powerBi model assume i need to perform some trasnfromations like selft join and inner join we can do the same thing by using M query and Dax also

So which way we need to choose. Please suggest with explanaiton.

Thanks for your effro in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi BalaVenuGopal,

If your report only visualize data from the table after perform join action or you import large amount of data from data source, it is preferable to use power query because the performance in power query will be better than DAX. Click Query Editor -> Merge Queries -> Select Join Kind.

If you need to visualize data both from table before and after perform join action, or import small data from source table, you can use Power Query or DAX formula  such as GENERATEALL and CALCULATETABLE to create a calculated table. Please refer to this case:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/left-outer-join-using-dax-Multiple-to-Multiple/m-p/225206

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi BalaVenuGopal,

If your report only visualize data from the table after perform join action or you import large amount of data from data source, it is preferable to use power query because the performance in power query will be better than DAX. Click Query Editor -> Merge Queries -> Select Join Kind.

If you need to visualize data both from table before and after perform join action, or import small data from source table, you can use Power Query or DAX formula  such as GENERATEALL and CALCULATETABLE to create a calculated table. Please refer to this case:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/left-outer-join-using-dax-Multiple-to-Multiple/m-p/225206

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.