Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

M engine error

Hi, 

I am connecting to an on-prem sql server from power bi desktop. I can load the data into the query editor properly but once i try to apply changes and close i keep getting this message : "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'M Engine error: 'System; The directory name C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CertifiedExtensions is invalid.'. 

I checked the query and there are no errors there.

I tried closing the power bi desktop multiple times and retried but in vain. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try disabling this option in Power BI Desktop:

Pragati11_0-1599160379111.png

Save Power Bi file and try again your SQL Server connection.

If the above doesn't work, open Power BI Desktop as an admin and then try your database connection.

Pragati11_1-1599160520958.png

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try disabling this option in Power BI Desktop:

Pragati11_0-1599160379111.png

Save Power Bi file and try again your SQL Server connection.

If the above doesn't work, open Power BI Desktop as an admin and then try your database connection.

Pragati11_1-1599160520958.png

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

I really appreciate Pragati11's help, but I didn't see "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format" as an option to disable in "Preview Features".

Per her suggestion, I had to run Power BI as and admin for my Direct Query SQL connection. Why should I have to run Power BI with admin rights just to access an SQL Server DB via Direct Query?

ALSO: Microsoft, please create a GNU\Linux version of Power BI. I don't like the naming convention of GNU\Linux background drivers, but I find myself primarly using GNU\Linux at work. There should be a Microsoft sanctioned flavor of GNU\Linux that does not name background drivers daemons. People should not feel like "criminals" for using the Wine emulation layer which sometimes works better with older programs than native Windows 10...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.