Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jnickell
Helper V
Helper V

M Query & Common Data Service - data loss?

I think this is relatively simple and I have posted in powerusers forum looking for answers, but was hoping someone here might have run into this as well.  

End goal is setting up a Data Flow on the PowerBI service.  I'm using Power BI Desktop to massage my M transformation, but error crops up both in my Desktop > Common Data Service, and in Desktop > Power BI Data Flow.

I'm attempting to query the Dynamics 365 Opportunity entity using the Common Data Service.  I can connect and browse without any issue, however my problem comes whenever I attempt to "add" data using M.  I've tested with "Duplicating an existing column" and "adding a condition column", in either situation, a cell/column that contains data prior to this step will loose that data after these additive transformations.  

For example the "opportunityRatingCode_Display" field has "High" in it prior to the "Duplicate" step

After the "Duplicate" step, the field has "Null"

----

An interesting note as I was trying to type this up, it seems like keeping the companion field "opportunityRatingCode" until after the duplication transformation prevents the loss of the the value from the "_Display" field.

Has anyone else seen this? and is it correct to assume that this is due to the fact that the CDS version of the opportunity is providing some behind the scenes magic on what I believe are "lookup fields" if you were to access Dynamics CRM directly?

Link to PowerUsers forum post

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've created a support ticket.  I'll post back what I hear.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jnickell 

To get faster and better technical support for this issue, you may directly create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've created a support ticket.  I'll post back what I hear.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the issue while on the phone with support.  I have screenshots, of the issue occuring (in the Powerusers forum), but I couldn't get it to do it again.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.