Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ranbeermakin
Resolver III
Resolver III

M Language question: A Column contains a List and a Record both types

Hi all,

I'm using pagination to get data from a REST API. The API works fine but results in like this:

Capture.PNG

As you see the engagement column contains a List and a Record as well. I would like to convert that record to a list. Any clue how to do that? 

After that I can use Table.ExpandListColumn and my code will work fine.

Appreciate any help in this.

Thanks

Ranbeer

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Ranbeer,

You can use Value.Is to check if the values in the column are of type record, and if so use Record.ToList to convert the record to a list of field values.

Here's some code that worked for me:

= Table.TransformColumns( PreviousStep, { "engagement", each if Value.Is( _, type record ) then Record.ToList( _ ) else _ } )

Another option is:

= Table.TransformColumns( PreviousStep, { "engagement", each try Record.ToList( _ ) otherwise _ } )

Regards

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Ok, I was able to do this like

Table.TransformColumns( previousStep, { "engagement", each if Value.Is( _, type record ) then { _ } else _ } )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Ranbeer,

You can use Value.Is to check if the values in the column are of type record, and if so use Record.ToList to convert the record to a list of field values.

Here's some code that worked for me:

= Table.TransformColumns( PreviousStep, { "engagement", each if Value.Is( _, type record ) then Record.ToList( _ ) else _ } )

Another option is:

= Table.TransformColumns( PreviousStep, { "engagement", each try Record.ToList( _ ) otherwise _ } )

Regards

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks Owen.

But, what I really wanted was to put that record in a list, and not to convert the record to list of values.

Something like

Current situation:

[Record]

New situation

{List}

Expanding this list should give me the above "[Record]"

[Record]

Do you know how to do that?

Thanks for help.

Ok, I was able to do this like

Table.TransformColumns( previousStep, { "engagement", each if Value.Is( _, type record ) then { _ } else _ } )

Ah gotcha - yes if you just want a record turned into a list containing that record then your solution is perfect 😀

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.