Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tonijj
Helper IV
Helper IV

M Code generating Week numbers

Hi,

Im building a report to show Resource Planning at our company. As such Im trying to use M Code to populate a list of data based on the datatable. 

What I want to achieve;

M Code to generate 1 row per week number - based on the set in the datatable. 

Example: In the picture below, as I have a Start Date (Week number) and End Date (Week Number), I want the M code to generate 1 row of data per week, within that range. 
bi example dates.png

So, if the Start Date is Week 5, and End Week is 10 - it should therefore generate 5 rows. 

1 row for week 5

1 row for week 6

and so on....

I have done similar in the past (with help from this excellent community!) to generate if you set a start and end date using a DateKey, such as "2020-01-01" to "2020-12-31". So for days it works great, but using it with Week numbers instead was a whole different story for me 😞 

That code was something like this (for reference): 
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Date", each List.Dates([Start],Duration.Days([End]-[Start])+1,#duration(1,0,0,0))),
#"Expanded Date" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Date"),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Date",{"Start", "End"}),

End Result;
I want to be able to visually show the resource planning and utilization, based on weeks, like something like the picture below. 

Bonus Question: 
How could I make sure it works for e.g 2 year, meaning, if the assignment spans from 2020 to 2021?
year month week.png

Example data shared here:

Reference material 

5 REPLIES 5
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @tonijj 

please check out this function: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/12/11/date-datesbetween-retrieve-dates-between-2-dates-power-bi-... 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Imke,

Thank you for taking time!

I've read your full article (great one by the way!). Unfortunately I dont think it takes me all the way to the finish line. That could be on the other hand, due to my lack of knowledge of coding 😕 

The result I want to achieve is that the code generates X amount of automatic rows depending on the span. So for the example below, its a range of 5 weeks (10 to 15) and hence generating 5 rows as such. 
generate rows.png

When adding your code this is what I get, and again, it might just be my lack of knowledge here!
gen week.pnglist of weeks.png

Hi @tonijj  

Thank you! I think you're nearly there. What you've achieved is a list of dates with weekly intervals. Just transform those with a function like Date.WeekOfYear for example and you'll get the week numbers.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF 

Any chance you could take a quick look the Example file I made available via OneDrive with my example data? I tried adding date.weekofdays but with no luck...

Would really appreciate if you have 2min just to open my workbook, and maybe add your magic 🙂  

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.