Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Münin
Frequent Visitor

LuciaIndex and Tempsaves folders... can I delete everything in there?

Hello guys!!

First post here, exited to be part of this community :D.

So... I came up here to see if any of you can help me. We have a server, destined to be our PBI development envirovment, having that in mind, several users makes lots o reports and dashboards in there. The thing is that the storage keeps getting full quite often, so as admins, we told our users to delete caché files from the Settings of PBI as a posible solution.

Mnin_0-1631024152240.png

The deal is that in every AppData folder of every user, there are 3 folders that takes a huge amount o storage, one of them is LuciaCache, the size on this one lows heavily whe we delete caché from de PBI Settings, but there are two more folders that keeps in the same size even after deleting caché, the folders are:

• LuciaIndex
  • TempSaves

We wanna know 2 things:

1. How all the files inside those two folders are created, what process inside PBI triggers this.
  2. Can we delete everything inside these folders without dealing a critical damage to all our users PBI reports?

I've already search on the net about these trouble, founding this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/LuciaCache-What-is-this/td-p/405078 the only problem... this post only talks about "LuciaCache", we kind of know how that folder works thanks to it, but the other two folders are not mentioned so that's why I'm here! hehehe

So that's it, thank you very much for the help you can give me, best regards!!

6 REPLIES 6
t-g

Hi there,

LuciaCache and LuciaIndex relate to Q&A using natural language, what this means is you can ask questions about your data e.g. "show me the max value in this report" although the feature doesnt work well..

I created an idea to allow administrators to disable this Q&A setting by default please vote for it

Microsoft Idea

the other option would be to create a logoff script that deletes the Lucia folders

As for Tempsaves this is used to recover Reports that werent saved so I would leave it there incase a user has PBI desktop crash etc

Münin
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone!

I came back to tell you guys that unfortunately, I still haven't found what is the real purpose of this folder, only guesses and speculating theories.

The thing is, that I needed to solve this, so I just jumped in to the abbyss and delete the folder for the users that have more used storage... ti'll now, everything is going smoothly, there wasn't any impact to our server users (we asked them for help, telling them that those folders were going to be deleted befores doing it and putting an eye on the PBI performance in order to know if that action was going to "break" something).

I cannot tell you that this is the solution to this issue, not until I know the real purpose of that folder, but until then, maybe that would work as a temp fix.

Best regards everyone!

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Someone over there, with any answers?

Münin
Frequent Visitor

Hi again!! have anyone else experienced this issue?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Can you add more memory to that server?

Hi! thnx for the reply.

Well, we already gave some aditional GB to the server, but those folders keep growing and eventually going to fill the disk again.

Thanks again 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.