Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tykurzy
Frequent Visitor

Lose Custom Date/Time Excel Format (dd hh:mm) When Imported to Power BI

Hi there,

Working on calculating a time to resolution metric for our help desk by subtracting the "Completed By" system date and time from the "Created On" system date and time. 

Time to Resolution = Completed By - Created On

Time to Resolution is a custom format in Excel (dd hh:mm)

tykurzy_0-1636584374793.png

In Excel, I can sum, average, and count the Time to Resolution metric.

When imported into Power BI Desktop, it changes the format to:

tykurzy_1-1636584577190.png

I've tried different change types and transform options, but am having trouble. I'm fairly new to Power BI and am unsure if I can create a calculated column with a custom date format that can be used to sum and average, just like in Excel.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @tykurzy 

When converting to DateTime, you should use Change Type -> Using Locale

usinglocale.png

If your dates are in dd/mm/yyyy format then use a locale that matches like English (Australia) or English (United Kingdom)

usinglocale2.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @tykurzy 

Download sample PBIX file

In this file I've imported your Excel file then converted the Created On and Completed By columns to DateTime Using Locale.

I've then subtracted one from the other in PQ and changed that resultant column, called Time to Resolution, to Duration type.

restime2.png

Once loaded into the data model, the Time to Resolution will be displayed as a decimal, because that's how it is stored.  DAX doesn't have ther Duration data type.

In order to display these durations in a human friendly format, I've used some code to do that formatting.  I've created a measure called Resolution Time

Resolution Time = 

VAR Elapsed_Time = SELECTEDVALUE('Transform'[Time To Resolution])
VAR days = INT(Elapsed_Time)

VAR _hrs = (Elapsed_Time - days) * 24
VAR hrs = INT(_hrs)

VAR _mins = ROUNDUP((_hrs - hrs) * 60, 2)
VAR mins = INT(_mins)

VAR seconds = INT((_mins - mins) * 60)

RETURN

//Use FORMAT to FORMAT the string to use 2 chars e.g. 03 rather than just 3
days & " d " & FORMAT(hrs,"00") & " h " & FORMAT(mins,"00") & " m "  & FORMAT(seconds,"00") & " s"  

With this added to a table visual, your resolution times are easier to understand

restime.png

You can change the final format as desired.  Some background on this measure and durations in DAX

Converting Decimal Time to Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds in Power BI • My Online Training Hub

You can remove the Time to Resolution column from this table.  I left it in just to illustrate what it looks like before formatting with my measure.

When you open the PBIX, you'll of course need to change the Source step to point to your Excel file.

Regards

Phil

Hi @tykurzy 

Download sample PBIX

Use this measure 

Avg Resolution Time = 

VAR Elapsed_Time = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX('DataTable','DataTable'[Time To Resolution]), FILTER(ALL('DataTable'), 'DataTable'[Owner First Name] = SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Owner First Name])))

VAR hrs = INT(_hrs)

VAR mins = INT(_mins)

RETURN

days & " d " & FORMAT(hrs,"00") & " h " & FORMAT(mins,"00") & " m "  & FORMAT(seconds,"00") & " s"  

avgsm.png

Regards

Phil

10 REPLIES 10
tykurzy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @PhilipTreacy! Looks like I need to start learning DAX. 

@Daniel_Fdrvc, check out Phil's solution. Worked well for me.

tykurzy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help, @PhilipTreacy

I'm almost there. 

1. Successfully implemented @PhilipTreacy  solution by formatting dates using English (UK) under "Using Locale"
  2. Successfully implemented @PhilipTreacy "human-friendly" format (d h m s)

My next challenge is in building my visualization...

tykurzy_0-1636746817057.png

As you can see above, I am averaging the Response Time by help desk employee. This is fantastic but 4.32 is not easily understood. How do I apply Phil's human-friendly formatting d / m / h / s to this simple table visualization?

Appreciate the help!

Tyler

Hi @tykurzy 

Download sample PBIX

Use this measure 

Avg Resolution Time = 

VAR Elapsed_Time = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX('DataTable','DataTable'[Time To Resolution]), FILTER(ALL('DataTable'), 'DataTable'[Owner First Name] = SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Owner First Name])))

VAR hrs = INT(_hrs)

VAR mins = INT(_mins)

RETURN

avgsm.png

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @tykurzy 

Download sample PBIX file

In this file I've imported your Excel file then converted the Created On and Completed By columns to DateTime Using Locale.

I've then subtracted one from the other in PQ and changed that resultant column, called Time to Resolution, to Duration type.

restime2.png

Once loaded into the data model, the Time to Resolution will be displayed as a decimal, because that's how it is stored.  DAX doesn't have ther Duration data type.

In order to display these durations in a human friendly format, I've used some code to do that formatting.  I've created a measure called Resolution Time

Resolution Time = 

VAR Elapsed_Time = SELECTEDVALUE('Transform'[Time To Resolution])

VAR hrs = INT(_hrs)

VAR mins = INT(_mins)

RETURN

With this added to a table visual, your resolution times are easier to understand

restime.png

You can change the final format as desired.  Some background on this measure and durations in DAX

Converting Decimal Time to Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds in Power BI • My Online Training Hub

You can remove the Time to Resolution column from this table.  I left it in just to illustrate what it looks like before formatting with my measure.

When you open the PBIX, you'll of course need to change the Source step to point to your Excel file.

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @tykurzy 

When converting to DateTime, you should use Change Type -> Using Locale

usinglocale.png

If your dates are in dd/mm/yyyy format then use a locale that matches like English (Australia) or English (United Kingdom)

usinglocale2.png

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @tykurzy 

Download example PBIX file

If you subtract one DateTime from another you should end up with a duration in Power Query.  This is a decimal number of days that is displayed in the format 1.12:30:00 meaning 1 day, 12 hours, 30 minutes, zero seconds.

You should change your Created On and Completed By columns to the DateTime type before doing the subtraction.

datetime1.png

datetime2.png

Regards

Phil

Thanks, Phil. Trying to implement your solution but getting error messages when trying to change my date columns from text to Date/Time. 

I suspect Power Query thinks my date field is mm/dd/yyyy; whereas the system date format I'm pulling in is dd/mm/yyyy.

Anything with a value over 12 in the "dd" part of the system date receives an error message.

Here is the error message: 

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.
Details:
14/11/2018 10:53:04

tykurzy_1-1636660380928.pngtykurzy_2-1636660440804.png

Thanks for your help,

Tyler

Can you upload here that excel file with some dates? Maybe this will make it easier to replicate your problem and find a solution faster.

Hi Daniel,

Link to file: IT Tickets Database.xlsx

Thanks,

Tyler

I'm new in PBI too, but founded some, maybe not user friendly solution to convert dates when they in format mm/dd/yyyy via new calculated column:

Converted date 1 = mid(Sheet1[Date 1];4;2) &"/"& left(Sheet1[Date 1];2) &"/"& mid(Sheet1[Date 1];7;4) &" "& mid(Sheet1[Date 1];12;2) &":"& mid(Sheet1[Date 1];15;2) &":"& mid(Sheet1[Date 1];18;2)

This slices and connect date from parts and then i can convert to date-time. From now i can calculate time to resolution. Maybe this will be helpfull for you.

converted dates.JPG

I have imported your file to and tried to convert Time to Resolution column to dd hh:mm. By the way you can do this here:

dd hh mm.JPG

But when this is aplied, everywhere where difference between two dates is 0 (resolved at same day) there it shows 31 days. Maybe some advanced user can explain why... It will be helpfull for me too for the future 🙂

31.JPG

Hope we will find a solution together.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.