Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Loop through rows under condition and count difference

I have timestamps under each other in one column, have detected the rows where full time period starts and ends thanks to indexing. Now, how do I lopp through the column and sum the whole time in between all the start and end rows? See sample snapshot:

sample values. Desired value of first difference is 30 hourssample values. Desired value of first difference is 30 hours

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my simplified sample data, the measure could get the datediff between the start and end time.

Measure = var last_start=CALCULATE(MAX('Time'[time]),FILTER(ALL('Time'),'Time'[time]<=MAX('Time'[time])&&'Time'[end/start]="start")) return IF(MAX('Time'[end/start])="end",DATEDIFF(last_start,MAX('Time'[time]),HOUR))

a1.png

If you need column,you may try below dax.

Column = var last_start=CALCULATE(MAX('Time'[time]),FILTER('Time','Time'[time]<=EARLIER('Time'[time])&&'Time'[end/start]="start")) return IF('Time'[end/start]="end",DATEDIFF(last_start,'Time'[time],HOUR))

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

The measure you have posted did not work for me, but I've used a different approach - adding new index column to the table and then merging the table on itself.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may try to create a measure like below.

Measure =
VAR last_start =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Time'[time] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Time' ),
            'Time'[time] <= MAX ( 'Time'[time] )
                && 'Time'[end/start] = "start"
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Time'[end/start] ) = "end",
        DATEDIFF ( last_start, MAX ( 'Time'[time] ), HOUR )
    )

a1.png

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help. However, the solution does not work for me. How can you make this measure iterate over the  whole table with more than one start-end period possible for every id? @v-cherch-msft 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because the column looks like this, with more specified periods for one id. @v-cherch-msft More sample rowsMore sample rows

Anonymous
Not applicable

The measure you've provided just does not do the job. I've separated the times into two columns and just need do substract them from each other. If there is end time provided, substract start time from it otherwise from now time substract start time. As in pictures provided.

snippetsnippetmeasuremeasure

Hi @Anonymous 

If you have resolved the issue, please mark the right reply as answer, If not, please share more details for us so that we could help further on it.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

MORE DETAILS:
The problem I am solbing is to try to sum the time of full occupancy of a box. I have a table with measurements 3-6 per day per box. Single measurement is in a single row, with percent_calculted stating the level of occupancy of the box and measured_at_utc stating the time of measurement. 

id is measurements unique ID, code is container's unique codeid is measurements unique ID, code is container's unique code

Based on this data, using indexed columns, I got the earlier values of percent_calculated, time and code into the next row as can be seen in picture below

moreinfo2.PNG

Thanks to that, I've been able to determine which time is start time of full occupancy of a box and which is the end time (if code = added code & percent> added percent etc).

Hence, I have the start and end times determined and now I need to count the difference between them. The issue is that there are thousands of them with unknown number of blanks between the two values and I need to loop through all of them. 

The desired result is time of full occupancy, so I can determine for example longest period of full occupancy, average for all boxes, average for box, max, min etc etc etc.

Thank you for your time @v-cherch-msft 

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my simplified sample data, the measure could get the datediff between the start and end time.

Measure = var last_start=CALCULATE(MAX('Time'[time]),FILTER(ALL('Time'),'Time'[time]<=MAX('Time'[time])&&'Time'[end/start]="start")) return IF(MAX('Time'[end/start])="end",DATEDIFF(last_start,MAX('Time'[time]),HOUR))

a1.png

If you need column,you may try below dax.

Column = var last_start=CALCULATE(MAX('Time'[time]),FILTER('Time','Time'[time]<=EARLIER('Time'[time])&&'Time'[end/start]="start")) return IF('Time'[end/start]="end",DATEDIFF(last_start,'Time'[time],HOUR))

a1.png

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

The measure you have posted did not work for me, but I've used a different approach - adding new index column to the table and then merging the table on itself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.