Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup value from one table from another

I have a large table with one of the columns as 'CID' and there are multiple rows in this table with the same CID value.

There is another table with distinct CID codes that I need to match the previous table against.

So, I need to add a column to the large table that says CIDmatchs with logic being, if there is a match with the lookup table value; set it to 1 else 0 so I can count all the 1s together.

Can someone please help me with the logic for DAX or M any any method I can use to resolve this??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous, sounds to me like you have selected "Add Measure" instead of "Add Column"?

Just check that you have used "Add Column" and done so in the table that will hold the CID Flag.  In this case we are adding it to the CID Table.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CID Flag = IF(
	IFERROR(
		LOOKUPVALUE(
			'CID Table'[CID],
			'CID Table'[CID],
			'Large Table'[CID]
		),
	) = 0,
)

Make that a column in your large table.  You might need to rename the tables names i've used, but hope you get the idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the solution. And, it has definitely solved part of my issue.

I forgot to add another problem to it.

So, the counts calculated by the 'CID Flag' is also counting the duplicates since there are rows with same CID values in the larger table. How should I make sure that the Flag only counts the distinct rows from the larger table?

Thanks in advance.

@Anonymous,

I asume the large table have the sample data
Capture.PNG

Now you need to count the distinct value for the CIDs that have CID Flag=1, right?

If that is the case, please try to create a measure using the DAX below.
Measure = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table3[CID]),FILTER(Table3,Table3[CID flag]=1))

Capture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Charlie. I could get the distinct counts using your logic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try the same formula, except do it from the 'CID Table' to the 'Large Table' instead (in reverse).  Lookup works on multiple rows, as long as each row would return the same value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, it seem the third argument needs to be a single value so, when I try using a column of another table, its just showing me the option to choose another measure as the third argument.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make the CID Flag a column in the other table, not the large table.  Thats the only way to reverse it correctly.  You will still be able to include it in your reports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks..  @Anonymous

However, it is not allowing me to keep the third arguement of lookuptable function to use a table column, but, only measures of either tables. And, I tried in both ways.. for the larger as well as the smaller table.

Is there something that I might be missing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous, sounds to me like you have selected "Add Measure" instead of "Add Column"?

Just check that you have used "Add Column" and done so in the table that will hold the CID Flag.  In this case we are adding it to the CID Table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Thanks a lot Ross... It worked this time.. I guess I was trying to create a measure instead of a column. 😛

Really appreciate your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.