Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup of value from another table

Simple question for a relative newbie to Powerbi. Hoiping someone can help.

I have two tables which contain Revenue in table 1 and Working days in table 2

The link field  between the tables is calendar month, and the field I want to bring into table 1 is named "working days"

They are linked on a many to one relationship.

I want to return a single value against each revenue line/calendar month combination in table 1 for the corresponding value in the working days column. 

E.g. if the month is June and the number of working days is 25, then each revenue line/calendar month combination in table 1 would have 25 in the new column of the revenue table based on this lookup.

I've googled this but seen so many conflicting ways to get the right answer.

Any help much appreciated. First forum post to MS Powerbi....probably not the last.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working.JPGworking2.JPG

Hi Greg, really appreciate the pointers.....hopefully the above helps with the table layout and relationship.

I'm looking to bring back the value from the Working table in the ADJ column and use this to multiply by the Sales Value, and so far I have used LOOKUPVALUE (as per your suggestion) to get the following values back where there is a match (example below).

working 3.JPG

The next bit shows the result when I then multiply the two bits on a new column..working 4.JPGworking 5.JPG

Is this the correct way to build this, and the most efficient? Or is there a better way? Thanks for the pointers....as I was list in CALCULATE/CALCULATE TABLE, LOOKUPVALUE/FILTER....all of which I am slowly learning.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

To create a calculated column as below should be ok.

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( WORKING[ADJ] ),
    FILTER (
        WORKING,
        WORKING[Calendar Month Name] = 'NEW QV MASTER'[Calendar Month Name]
    )
) * [Sales value]

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats is perfect...thank you so much Smiley Happy

Is it possible for me to insert another condition in that formula to make it only apply when a financial year = YYYY

Struggling with how to include this in the logic.working_0207.JPG

Hi @Anonymous ,

To use && instead of "," in filter. such as,

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( WORKING[ADJ] ),
    FILTER (
        WORKING,
        WORKING[Calendar Month Name] = 'NEW QV MASTER'[Calendar Month Name] && WORKING[F Year] in {"2017-2018"} 
    )
) * [Sales value]

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You probably want something like LOOKUPVALUE. Would need more info to be more specific. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working.JPGworking2.JPG

Hi Greg, really appreciate the pointers.....hopefully the above helps with the table layout and relationship.

I'm looking to bring back the value from the Working table in the ADJ column and use this to multiply by the Sales Value, and so far I have used LOOKUPVALUE (as per your suggestion) to get the following values back where there is a match (example below).

working 3.JPG

The next bit shows the result when I then multiply the two bits on a new column..working 4.JPGworking 5.JPG

Is this the correct way to build this, and the most efficient? Or is there a better way? Thanks for the pointers....as I was list in CALCULATE/CALCULATE TABLE, LOOKUPVALUE/FILTER....all of which I am slowly learning.

Hi @Anonymous ,

To create a calculated column as below should be ok.

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( WORKING[ADJ] ),
    FILTER (
        WORKING,
        WORKING[Calendar Month Name] = 'NEW QV MASTER'[Calendar Month Name]
    )
) * [Sales value]

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats is perfect...thank you so much Smiley Happy

Is it possible for me to insert another condition in that formula to make it only apply when a financial year = YYYY

Struggling with how to include this in the logic.working_0207.JPG

Hi @Anonymous ,

To use && instead of "," in filter. such as,

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( WORKING[ADJ] ),
    FILTER (
        WORKING,
        WORKING[Calendar Month Name] = 'NEW QV MASTER'[Calendar Month Name] && WORKING[F Year] in {"2017-2018"} 
    )
) * [Sales value]

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is perfect...thank you.

I appear to have clicked on the wrong post to accept as a solution.

Really appreciate your support and time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.