Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgirvin
Advocate I
Advocate I

Lookup nth item in column

Dear Team,

In Excel we can lookup a value using INDEX and MATCH function, where the MATCH function returns the row number or relative position of an item in a list. How do we do this is DAX? Specifically, I have a calculated column and this formula that returns the relative position (or row number) of an item in a column:

=COUNTROWS(FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity]))

For each row in this Calculated Column, that formula is returning a number between 1 and 7, which represents the row in a column that contains the item I want to go and get and bring back to the calculated column.

I can't use a formula like this to lookup the value:

=CALCULATE(MAX(disDiscount[Discount]),FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity]))

becasue the value I am looking up is not always the MAX value. 

I need a lookup formula that return an item in a column based on its position.

What DAX Function can I use to lookup an item in a column based on its position?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Add an Index column in your query?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Using your approach of adding an index column, I came up with this solution that works:

=LOOKUPVALUE(disDiscount[Discount],disDiscount[Index],COUNTROWS(FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity])))

Another solution I found in the comments at YouTube is this:

=LOOKUPVALUE(disDiscount[Discount],disDiscount[Units],CALCULATE(MAX(disDiscount[Units]),FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity])))

where the logic is to find max value in first column of lookup table (units) and then use that as an Exact Match in LOOKUPVALUE.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Add an Index column in your query?

Latest book!:

That would work. Thank you, Greg!

But, my question remains: What DAX Function can I use to lookup an item in a column based on its position? If there is not a function like this, it seems strange that such a common function in Excel (INDEX), would not be in DAX.

Well, I would only say that DAX isn't really geared toward "position" so much. Under the hood things really aren't sorted neatly into ordered columns and rows like a sheet in Excel. You have to filter your way to specific values because there is no reference frame like A12, B13, etc.

Latest book!:

O, yes... That does make perfect sense becasue the Columnar Database stores unique list : )

Using your approach of adding an index column, I came up with this solution that works:

=LOOKUPVALUE(disDiscount[Discount],disDiscount[Index],COUNTROWS(FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity])))

Another solution I found in the comments at YouTube is this:

=LOOKUPVALUE(disDiscount[Discount],disDiscount[Units],CALCULATE(MAX(disDiscount[Units]),FILTER(disDiscount,disDiscount[Units]<=fSales[Quanity])))

where the logic is to find max value in first column of lookup table (units) and then use that as an Exact Match in LOOKUPVALUE.

O, I added an index to the lookup table. You said "add an idex column in your query", how would I do that? Is there a way to use ADDCOLUMNS to add an index internally in the formula?

In the Query Editor, click your query, click "Add Column" tab in ribbon and then Index Column.

Latest book!:

Yes, I did add an index column. But I was wondering if there was a way to do it internally in the formula?

Eh, maybe, see this post:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38599531/dax-create-dynamic-index-column

Latest book!:

Thank you very much for the help Greg : )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.