Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup in interval(s), not unique

Given below three tables, in my FACT table, for each row I have a Postal Code. I need to identify, from the Zone table, which Zone ID this Postal Code lies within, and then lookup the price unit of that zone ID in the price table.

Obstacles:

- The zone table is in interval form. Would the best approach be, to explode the intervals, generating a new table with all postal codes and their corresponding Zone ID? How is this done?

- The Zone ID is not unique, meaning there can be multiple intervals per zone. How to establish the lookup key(relationship)?

Ultimate goal: Ability to map the price of a Postcal code given the tables below.

community question Lookup in intervals not unique.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

If that is the case, list.Numbers() will definatly be the best option.
Add it as a custom column in the query editor and then expand it to new rows.
This should give you a row for each postcode that you then can use to create a relationship with the facts table.

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use the 

List.Numbers([PostCode from],[Postcode to] - [Postcode from] +1 )

To create new records for each postcode. 

Regarding linking the facts table to the zone table i need to know more. If i understand things correctly you will have duplicate postcodes in both the zone table and the facts table.

What exactly is the data in the facts table?
Is there only a single postcode?

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

My assumption is, that you are stating that exploding the intervals is the best approach.

List.Numbers, is that a Power Query function? Could you please elaborate on how to apply it? I will need to more columns in the new table from the Zone Table.

I do not have duplicate post codes in the Zone table. I have intervals, not overlapping so to speak. I have duplicate zones however, one for each interval.

In the FACT table, there are Many postal codes. Say, many orders from various and same postal codes.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

List.Numbers() is a powerquery function. It takes 2 parameters, a starting number and a counter.

Since i cant see your facts table it's dificult to determine the best approach. I dont know if im supposed to apply the price to each row in the facts table or if I need to aggregate it somehow before that. 

Could you possibly give me some insight into the structure of the fact table?
And what the desired outcome looks like visually? 

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Say each row is an order, with destination postal code. I need to determine the price of each order, which is dependent on the postal code in the way described in the post.

I then need to accumulate cost across various dimensions, time periods, etc.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

This should give you a row for each postcode that you then can use to create a relationship with the facts table.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tex628 wrote:

Fantastic, solved my problem. I hope this is the most efficient solution, but never the less marking as answered.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.