Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rcase959

Lookup image and add to report

Ok, so I am completely new to Power BI.  I am working with a data set which includes a bunch of email addresses.  I would like to create a report which displays the users pictures along with some other content already available.  Pictures are stored on a file share as "emailaddress.jpg"  Is there any way to ingest the jpg files from the file share, and associate in the report based on email address matching the filename (excluding the .jpg extension) ?  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rcase959

We can use the custom visual Image Viewer to show the user picture. But only URL field defines image will be displayed.

For example, I create a simple table with some information like below.

Lookup image and add to report_1.jpg

We can drag the Image Viewer visual into canvas and select Photo column for the URL field.

Then go to “Manage Roles” and create a role like below. Publish this report to PBI Service.

Lookup image and add to report_2.jpg

Add members to role1 we define above.

Lookup image and add to report_3.jpg

Then if Herbert opens the dashboard with his account (***bl@***.com), he will see the first photo which located on http://s18.postimg.org/xbogm4cd5/Calculate_Current_Employee_Count_based_on_Joined.jpg.

If Michael opens the dashboard with his account (***sh@***.com), he will see the second photo which located on http://s21.postimg.org/itcuy2xon/problems_to_creating_a_chart_of_the_monthly_volu.jpg.

Note: The row-level security function needs the pro license.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you very much for the information Herbert.  This is useful, hoewever in my scenario I have a matrix containing a bunch of information which will be filtered using a slicer.  End result, I wish the user's photos to actually appear in the filtered matrix - currently the URL to their photo is available.  So in your sample, I would like to see the actual Image for Herbert and Michael in the Photo column instead of the URL which is currently there.  Is this feasible?  Thx!

@rcase959

No, it is not possible to display the photos in the matrix column with current version now. You can vote this idea in this site.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft hi, is this entire scenario as mentioned by @rcase959  possible by using VLOOKUP or INDEX / MATCH functions?

what i mean is considering a databse of soldiers, having following columns:

Name of SoldierRankBadge
Tom BernethPTE 
Osva SolomonREC 
Kennith K Jr.LCP 
Sheila KraveGBN 
Barbara SamuelLCP 
David HedgesREC 
Peter HinksGBN 
Bernard WilliamsPTE 
William ShellREC 

Badges vs RanksBadges vs Ranks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.