Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup by date

I'm trying to move an Excel report to Power Bi, I'm pretty much done but 1 part about a people roster, I'm working with a SharePoint list where I save Quality Evaluations on a daily basis, the employees can change groups depending on different factors and in Excel I had a formula combining VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP based on the date the Quality Evaluation was submitted, something like.

Using the HLOOKUP along with the number below the date to help the VLOOKUP find the column to use.

Cannot find how to do this or something similiar in PBI, not sure if I'm being clear but any help will be appreciated

Example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

We can take the following steps to meet your requirement.

1.In power query, we need to remove the Name column and create a new table based on the unique Employye ID using the formula.

Table = DISTINCT(ALL(Table1))

2.Then create the relationship between the two tables.

1.png

3.Then I create a calculated column using the formula as below to get the result as we excepted.

Gruop2 = IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,01),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 &&DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,15),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/1/2018]),IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,15),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 && DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,27),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/15/2018]),IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,27),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 &&DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,08,01),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/27/2018]),RELATED('Table'[8/1/2018]))))

2.png

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvbou176d64tblw/Lookup%20by%20date3.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Copy range C1:F1 and paste it in range C2:F2.  In the Query Editor, select the first 2 columns and select "Unpivot other columns"/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

We can take the following steps to meet your requirement.

1.In power query, we need to remove the Name column and create a new table based on the unique Employye ID using the formula.

Table = DISTINCT(ALL(Table1))

2.Then create the relationship between the two tables.

1.png

3.Then I create a calculated column using the formula as below to get the result as we excepted.

Gruop2 = IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,01),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 &&DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,15),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/1/2018]),IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,15),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 && DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,27),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/15/2018]),IF(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,07,27),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)>0 &&DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,08,01),Table2[Evaluation date],DAY)<0,RELATED('Table'[7/27/2018]),RELATED('Table'[8/1/2018]))))

2.png

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvbou176d64tblw/Lookup%20by%20date3.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ! I'll give it a try !!

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.