Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

crln-blue
Post Patron
Post Patron

Looking for equivalent of Line-Bar combo in Excel to PowerBI

Hello!

I'm new to PowerBI (currently exploring) and I'm looking for possible replacement to the chart below:

crln-blue_0-1596437494852.png

It is made in excel where the line chart pertains to the 2019 data and the bars for the 2020 data. There are only 3 data columns used: a measure, a category (food type, corresponds to the colors of both the line and bars) and a date data.

I believe this is a bad way of representing data because it is quite confusing to the readers so I'm looking for another way to interpret it. There is no clustered stacked bars nor line-bar chart on PowerBI so my question is, is there another visual for this requirement? (I also tried hierarchy - I made a type & date hierarchy and placed it on the x-axis but it isn't right). 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @crln-blue 

To my knowledge, there is no visuals like this, but there is a workaround to get it.

Step1:

Create a measure for column

Bar measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2020))
Step2:
Create measure for different category

Line typeA = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="A"))

Line typeB = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="B"))

Line typeC = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="C"))

Step3:

Now create a visual like this

1.JPG

and here is sample pbix file, please try it.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @crln-blue 

To my knowledge, there is no visuals like this, but there is a workaround to get it.

Step1:

Create a measure for column

Bar measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2020))
Step2:
Create measure for different category

Line typeA = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="A"))

Line typeB = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="B"))

Line typeC = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Year]=2019&&'Table'[category ]="C"))

Step3:

Now create a visual like this

1.JPG

and here is sample pbix file, please try it.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-lili6-msft , thanks for the reply. I applied your solution and it solved my problem (although I admit there's a more better way to represent my data instead of line-chart combo). Will close this thread now. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak ! I also tried this but I still need my line chart to be a multiple line chart because I need to show the composition. Still, thanks for link!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.