Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Justair07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Looking for Tips on Storing Data

Hi,

I know a lot of you will read this question and suggest that I connect directly to the source db. Unfortunently, that is not an option in this case, yet.

I'm new to Power BI so I'm not even sure if this is possible. I have a report from our ERP system (SAP) that will run on a schedule every day. The report will be for the previous day. So every day the report will automaticlly (replace and) save in a local folder in an Excel format. The report will always have the same name and it will replace the previous days report.

Is it possibly for Power BI to pull the reports data daily so I can create dashboards with it? Does Power BI actually store and save data in a table?

If no, my other option was to run a schedued macro from Access to fetch the data and store it in a table for Power BI to pull from. I prefer to eleiminate the middle man (or in this case middle men).

Any tips and tricks are much appreciated.

Thank you,

- Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brysonds
Helper III
Helper III

You can point Power BI to the local file that is being updated each day. Whenever you refresh the data in Power BI, it will read whatever is in the excel file. You can refresh manually from the desktop client and push the update to the web service, or you can schedule an automatic refresh fro the web service. 

Once you have connected Power BI to an import source (like excel), the data is contained in memory and stores the table in a compressed format within the Power BI file. Refreshing the data simply replaces the table with the new data.

If you are trying to build history in Power BI, but not in the source file, I don't believe this can be done.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Brysonds
Helper III
Helper III

You can point Power BI to the local file that is being updated each day. Whenever you refresh the data in Power BI, it will read whatever is in the excel file. You can refresh manually from the desktop client and push the update to the web service, or you can schedule an automatic refresh fro the web service. 

Once you have connected Power BI to an import source (like excel), the data is contained in memory and stores the table in a compressed format within the Power BI file. Refreshing the data simply replaces the table with the new data.

If you are trying to build history in Power BI, but not in the source file, I don't believe this can be done.

@Brysonds Thats exactly the answer I needed. Thank you. It looks like I will have to go the middleman route with Access so I can keep a history.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.