Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Charu
Post Patron
Post Patron

Login based visual support in power bi desktop or power bi service

Hi All,

I need a clarification on login based security level or row level security.

1.whether I can create a specific report which can be accessible only for that specific user login? this could be possible in Power bi desktop or in power bi service anything please guide me.

2.Manager can view all the sales person reports but an individual sales person can only view their own data,dashboard,report,how do I achieve this on power bi desktop report and in power bi service ,Some detailed steps would be helpful for me to follow.

final question the second scenario is possible on power bi desktop or service otherwise we need to do with dotnet appliocation.

badly need help on this second scenario.

looking forward to hearing back

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Charu,

You can use username() function in RLS to achieve your requirement, for more details, please review the following blog.

http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@Charu,

This behavior is expected, report owner will see all the data.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Charu,

This is possible by the row level security where you can define filters and roles for different users check the link below to get started.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

HI @MFelix

Thanks a lot for your response.

In that based on user login, for example, person1 logging in then only that user data he should view and if another person logging in with his/her account login their data only they could see. Is this scenario possible?

In power bi service how we used to log in the same way, each person will log in and we need to show their reports alone how to achieve this?

Hi @Charu,

This is based on logging in and filters you setup in the RLS in power bi desktop. Based on the several ways you setup everything it will allow user to see the information you will let them see.

Combining this with the APP creation you will be abble to only show the persons the reports/dashboards they need.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix

Could you please elaborate about "Combining this with the APP creation you will be abble to only show the persons the reports/dashboards they need". Is this App creation is in power bi service or else dotnet apps ?

Please correct me If I'm wrong 

For example I have created 5reports and Manager can see all those 5reports ,coming to sales person their own reports we have to show them for that I should share their reports from my login by creating RLS?

In my report, there are some 100 records from those 100 records each record belongs to one user so when the user logs in only his data he can able to see.

Example: Table visual --100 records 

record 1 --user1@domain.com

record 2--user2.domain.com

so and so

I'm an admin so I can view all the user data but when the user1 logs in he could see the only record1 vice versa.Note I want to implement this row level security in the same report I won't create 100's of reports for each user.

How could I achieve this in power bi desktop?

Please help me to get this solution.

@Charu,

You can use username() function in RLS to achieve your requirement, for more details, please review the following blog.

http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

Regards,
Lydia

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I have tried the same link which you have shared It's not working for me. don't know y!

@Charu,

Could you please share dummy data of your tables?

Regards,
Lydia

For example: In my power bi desktop logged in using my account abc@domain.com, I have created some visuals and in my table data I'm having is
Table Name: SalesRep
Id Name Email
1 Sara abc@domain.com
2 Jack xyz@domain.com
Table Name: Transaction
Date SalesRep SalesAmount
2015-10-01 1 100
2015-10-02 2 500
2015-10-03 1 200

In Power bi desktop under manage roles created a role SaleRep.Email =USERNAME() then published it
When I login power bi service I could see all the data
2015-10-01 1 100
2015-10-02 2 500
2015-10-03 1 200
instead, I should display
2015-10-01 1 100
2015-10-03 1 200

@Charu,

Yes. Make sure you have create proper relationship between your tables.

Regards,
Lydia

ya sure.Thank you so much for this clarification.

@Charu,

This behavior is expected, report owner will see all the data.

Regards,
Lydia

SO If I login with other account only his data will come Right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.