Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fitcja
Helper I
Helper I

Logging into Power BI Desktop when on VPN

This problem has driven me batty and I REALLY help someone can either help me solve it or point me towards someone who can.

Here's the problem:

When I am logging into my company's VPN environment via Cisco AnyConnect, Power BI Desktop will not "remember" my login credentials. In other words, every time I launch the application, it prompts me to sign in on the opening page. What's worse is that when I try, I get the "Unable to Sign In. Your network requires proxy authentication. Please contact your network admin to check your authentication and firewall settings." Please note that when I am onsite at my job, this behavior doesn't occur. Rather, Power BI desktop "remembers" me and I get the opening screen displaying me, my files, atc.

Here's my inconsistent work around for when I am on VPN:

When I am in Power BI Desktop (not signed in) and the click on "Recent Data Sources" and then pick a previously made connection to a SharePoint site, I can still grab data from that site. Moreover, once I do that excercise and then click on "Sign In", the application actually accetps my credentials and I am good to go for that specific session.

There are two main problems with this work around (other than the obvious one that this isn't how the software should work).

First, that login will only work for that specific session. If I open a new file, Power BI launches a new session and I'm back to square one.

Second, that routine will not work on a report that uses another Power BI data set as its source because those files require signing in before the file will open. As a result, I can never gain access to them.

I have worked with our network guys for hours upon hours trying to figure out what is causing this issue. Because the variation occurs based on network (VPN vs not using VPN), I thought for sure that that was where the issue was. But our investigation has yielded nothing. Moreover, this is not a consistent problem across users. I am on Windows 10. My colleagues using Windows 7 seem to have much more success than I do. 

The Power BI desktop version I am on is 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June 2018).

Three questions:

1. What's causing this?
  2. How do we fix it?
  3. Who can help?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @fitcja,

Current power bi seems not support VPN proxy authentication, you can vote below idea about similar requirement:

Support proxy authentication in Power BI Desktop

In addition, you can also consider to use other VPN which not use proxy authentication or support manage all httprequests.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I'm not sure that that's the issue as this didn't used to be a problem before March 2018. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.