Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marina
Frequent Visitor

Lock up filter in Desktop file

Dear freinds, I need your help!

My question may by quite strange.

My company decided to implement only Power BI Desktop. We cannot use neither cloud version due to some security reasons nor Report Server version due to high price.

So we develop Data Model in Power BI Desktop and put a report level filter selecting certain Business Unit and send the pbix file to certain user assigned with this Business Unit. Each user should see only information on his Business Unit.

Such problem is solved in Power BI Service with row-level security when you assing account to the certaing filter.

But how can I solve it in Power BI Desktop I have no any idea. 

I cannot lock a filter in pbix file.

I cannot lock change of the pbix file .

Maybe I could make some manipulations in Data Model in Excel to prevent selecting Business Unit in pbix file?

Any ideas how to solve the problem? Please advice!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Marina,

I have tested it on my local environment, this requirement cannot be done in Power BI desktop only. This feature is only for Power BI service.

By the way, the Power BI service is built on Azure. And uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to store and manage user identities, and manages the storage of data and metadata using Azure BLOB and Azure SQL Database, respectively. You could get a better understanding of Power BI services security and then decide if you would use Power BI services or not.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Marina,

I have tested it on my local environment, this requirement cannot be done in Power BI desktop only. This feature is only for Power BI service.

By the way, the Power BI service is built on Azure. And uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to store and manage user identities, and manages the storage of data and metadata using Azure BLOB and Azure SQL Database, respectively. You could get a better understanding of Power BI services security and then decide if you would use Power BI services or not.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.