Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Loading latest file from multiple sub folders

Hi,

I am building a management weekly dashboard connecting to ADLS. I have to keep 12 weeks of data in perspective at any given time. Each file has a Month to date data. The data set will look like this:

root\presentation\September folder

file_wk4

file_wk3

file_wk2

file_wk1

root\presentation\October folder

file_wk4

file_wk3

file_wk2

file_wk1

root\presentation\November folder

file_wk3

file_wk2

file_wk1

I have a need to read the latest data from each of these folders. I am able to pick up the latest file from One folder.. However, I am not sure how I can pick the latest along with keeping the last file from the historical folder.

In this case:

I would like to keep the data from: 

• September - file_wk4
  • October - file_wk4
  • November - file_wk3

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks

vk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

1. Filter your files so only releveant data is showing. For example, only XLSX file (or CSV or whatever they are), and only the folder structures you want - root\presentation for example. Call this "File LIst"
  2. Create a reference to that query. Call this "Latest File Name"
  3. Use the Group By function in Power query to group by folder and show the maxium file date.
  4. Create a reference to the File LIst query and call it "Final Files"
  5. Merge Final Files with "Latest File Name" joining the folder name and the file date. Use Inner Join
  6. Now you should only have a list of the last file in each of the relevant folders.
  7. Press Combine.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can use this query in power query editor after you connect to the root\presentation folter using Folder Connector:

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Name] = ("file_wk" & Number.ToText(let path = [Folder Path], t = Table.SelectRows(Source,each [Folder Path]=path), t2 = Table.AddColumn(t,"WeekNumber",each Number.FromText(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Name],"file_wk",""),[Extension],""))) ,t3 = Table.SelectColumns(t2,{"WeekNumber"}), l = Record.FieldValues(Table.Max(t3,"WeekNumber")){0} in l) & [Extension]))

7.PNG

All the query are following:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("D:\root\presentation"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Name] = ("file_wk" & Number.ToText(let path = [Folder Path], t = Table.SelectRows(Source,each [Folder Path]=path), t2 = Table.AddColumn(t,"WeekNumber",each Number.FromText(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Name],"file_wk",""),[Extension],""))) ,t3 = Table.SelectColumns(t2,{"WeekNumber"}), l = Record.FieldValues(Table.Max(t3,"WeekNumber")){0} in l) & [Extension]))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

8.PNG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
edhans
Super User
Super User

1. Filter your files so only releveant data is showing. For example, only XLSX file (or CSV or whatever they are), and only the folder structures you want - root\presentation for example. Call this "File LIst"
  2. Create a reference to that query. Call this "Latest File Name"
  3. Use the Group By function in Power query to group by folder and show the maxium file date.
  4. Create a reference to the File LIst query and call it "Final Files"
  5. Merge Final Files with "Latest File Name" joining the folder name and the file date. Use Inner Join
  6. Now you should only have a list of the last file in each of the relevant folders.
  7. Press Combine.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - Thank you for your step by step suggestion. I am able to go up to Step #6. It shows me the correct list of files. However, I am not able to combine them. The "Combine" button is grayed out.

I tried merging from Latest File Name as well as Final List. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind - I figured out how to combine them. I went and clicked on the column Binary and it triggerd a combine.

Thanks for your help.

Sundar

Great! Glad you got it working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.