Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsalsig

Loading Visuals From File asks for sign in.

Hello All, 
When I "Import A Visual From A File", the application acts normal, and loads in the visual, but then immediately pops up with the "Sign In" Screen.  I can x out of it by clicking the X in the right-hand corner, and the visual looks like I should be able to use it, but when I put in data, nothing displays, and each time I try and update the visual, it asks for me to sign in again.  This is happening on all the various different visuals I try to "Import A Visual from a file" - the stock visuals seem to not be affected by this.   All of my previous dashboards, where I have imported a visual from a file- which were working last Monday, are no longer working today.   

This seems to have started after updating to May 2020.   Please note that my organization doesn't have power bi access so I am only using the free Desktop version.   Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my visuals working again?

5 REPLIES 5
bsalsig

@amitchandak @vivran22   Thank you both for responding - it was helpful in that it further defined my issue.  I work for a midsized county government - so I cannot create an account like you both have recommended (.mil and .gov accounts need to run through the Microsoft Government side).  To make things a little more complex while I have deployed and have been using Power BI desktop for around 8 months, about 4 months ago the County I work for has moved to a Government Office 365 account - however the level does not include Power BI.  This was not an issue until recently when I believe the tightened up some permissions which somehow may have affected my ability to use custom visuals. - the symptoms I am experiencing are very similar to when an organization uses the Power BI Admin function to turn off Custom Visuals.   Does anyone have an idea on how I might be able to reverse that?  How do I get to the Power BI Admin function, if I do not have a PowerBi license?  I really only need the Power BI Desktop version - it has worked well so far.

Respectfully,

#government#licence issue#power bi desktop#license conflict#admin portal

Hi @bsalsig

Custom visual needs to grant permission,so you do need to have an account to get access to it,there's no other ways if you dont have an account.Just a free account is enough.So you'd better get a free account first.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

The Februar Version of PBIRS was fine, no account was requested.

We copied the .pbiviz file locally and imported them in the Desktop, all was fine.

The May Version asks 10 times for account (I gave my Pro account), than the sign in form disappears and the Visual is inaktive!

All our Apps that contain custom visuals open with inaktive visuals!

Please reverse this impossible behaviour like it was in the Feb Version. On-Premise means: "No connection to Cloud"! 

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bsalsig , you can create an account for power bi using organization id for free desktop edition too. 

app.powerbi.com

Login into power and the default browser using that id. It should help

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @bsalsig,

You can register free on Power BI services and it doesn't require licesnse. Using that credentials you can use the visuals from marketplace.

Cheers!
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution. Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂
If it doesn't, then please share a sample data along with the expected results (preferably an excel file and not an image)

Blog: vivran.in/my-blog
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.