Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

curtisp
Helper II
Helper II

Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table

How to troubleshoot this "Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table" issue?

There are other posts where people get this error but those resolutions are pretty specific to case.

I  have modified date field formats which might have lead to this error but believe I have returned everything back to pre-error state to no avail.

I can successfully run the queries in question individually manually in the Power Query view.  

So no query errors are apparent. It is only when I try to refresh entire Power BI report or all queries that this error arises.

How to troubleshoot this?

load cancelled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Issue resolved with no specific resolution.

I saved offending query M code, deleted query, recreated query using saved M code, and now it works.

I haven't see any info on how to read the Tracing logs. Can anyone say if these would hold relevant information to troubleshoot issues like these?  

Sometimes the error messages in UI are not enough.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

!Hi!

Same thing happened to me. I did the process from zero again, the only difference was that I used Direct Query instead of Import Query. I think that as Import Query copied a Database maybe when the relationships or transformations that you do could trunk something.

So, try with Direct Query instead of Import Query when you get the data.

It worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, just curious as to how do I do a direct query instead of import query how to do that? Hope I'm understanding this correctly as I'm currently importing my data from excel files but recently gotten direct access to the database system, so would like to learn and better understand how to do this more efficiently so that my report automatically pulls the data directly from source itself when I do a refresh..

guisin
Frequent Visitor

I modified an Excel sheet that was related to my PBI and I received this same error messages.

To fix the issue, I reverted all my changes in Excel and went into each query and update the tables manually one by one. 

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

!Hi!

Same thing happend to me. I did the process again from zero, the only difference was that I used Direct Query instead of Import Query. I think that as Import Query copies the Data, when your refresh some relationships, updates, deletes or other changes in transformation maybe the refresh trunks something.

mafioso
Helper II
Helper II

I have the same issue. I get this message:

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)).

How can I fix that?

kharveyausten
Regular Visitor

I'm using MS Accss as backend datasource and I fixed by chnagin the Power BI Options; basically Access in some situations cannot handle "Parallel Loading" enabled but is fine with SQL Server datasource.

Try this:

Options

Data Load (this report sectioon)

Untick "Enable parallel loading of tables"

Also editing or deleting a column in a referred table can causes issues; I deleted a column and got another error, I put the column back in and all was OK; only if column is being referred to.

Carmine

I am new to PoweBI, but I got this error quite soon.

I was notice I had a query with a warning. In those query I had an incorrect DAX formula. Once I removed the error(I just delete the formula) the load went smoth again. I guess it's a general error due to some incorrect sintax.

Carmine

fcipriano
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I experienced the same error. This happens when you try to remove a column/table that is related to another table. I removed the relationship first on the tables and applied the changes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

@fcipriano That is correct. 

I removed all the models between tables and then refreshed the report and it worked. 

If you are new, you can follow steps below to delete the models.

- Select the highlighted item from the left menu:

pouyanebrahimi_0-1597930151566.png

- Then you have two options to delete your models:

Option 1:

Here you can select the models manually by right clicking the connection lines between the tables and then deleting them

Method 2:  

- Select th highlighted part from the top menu 

pouyanebrahimi_1-1597930346956.png

- In the new windown, you may select one or multiple tables (keeping the Ctrl key down and clicking the tables) and then select delete from the bottom menu 

I hope it helps other folks. 

curtisp
Helper II
Helper II

Oh this is interesting.  I found the source of the error message by some sluething about.  I looked at one of the date fields in the query edit view and tried to get it show all date values and got this very hidden error message at bottom of date picker list. 

[DataFormat.Error] We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.

aha here is error.png

This is odd because upon inspection of original data files (csv files) all of the values in this date column are in fact dates.

@curtisp  It is a strange error, happening to me a lot lately.

I think has to do with PQ trying to quess coloumn data type. 

Try to go to query editor formula bar and change in step 'Change Type'  the type of column to 'DateTime' instead of just 'Date', at least this was my issue due to csv data type.

Capture.PNG

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos  Thanks that didn't work though. This error message seems to indicate broad spectrum of issues so lots of specific resolutions.

Like you, I haven't ever seen this error over past 2 years working with Power BI/Power Query/Power Pivot. 

The quirk here is that the query refreshes successfully when run manually in editor. Itworks when the offending query is run individually, manually, and it works with the Refresh All in query editor too.

But it is failing with the error when queries run during report Refresh or Apply Changes. It indicates that there is 1 error in the offending query, but again, there is no error message when run manually.

Fails with Apply Changes

pending changes.png

apply query changes fails.png

Fails with Report Refresh

report refresh fails.png

Issue resolved with no specific resolution.

I saved offending query M code, deleted query, recreated query using saved M code, and now it works.

I haven't see any info on how to read the Tracing logs. Can anyone say if these would hold relevant information to troubleshoot issues like these?  

Sometimes the error messages in UI are not enough.

Hi @curtisp,

Glad to hear the issue has been solved by yourself. Smiley Happy

In Power BI Desktop, we can enable tracing log via File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing. When we meet the error when use Power BI desktop, we can go to check detail information. Please take a look at links below:

Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser

Power BI Diagnostics, Trace Logs And Query Execution Times (Again)

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

These are great thanks, will definitely be using them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.