Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dm1904
Helper I
Helper I

Load data from Excel file attachment in SharePoint online list

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-juanli-msft Thank you for your reply.

I needed users to upload attachments via PowerApps into a SharePoint list, so option 1 alone wouldn't work. Option 2 doesn't allow you to expand data from a list attachment. However, I've used the following hybrid solution.

User uploads attachment to SharePoint using PowerApps > Microsoft Flow Pushes the attachment into a SharePoint Library > Power BI can then expand the attachments using the SharePoint Folder connector and Power Query.

Best regards, Daniel

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dm1904
Helper I
Helper I

@v-juanli-msft & @rafaelmpsantos Neither quite what I'm looking for. I want to query data from Excel attatchments in multiple list items and merge them together. I now have a workaround which is to create a flow. When a new list item is created, the attachment file is copied to a SharePoint Library. I can then query the data contained within the files and merge them together

Hi 

Thank you for correct my understanding, i would like to fill in sone details for this problem.

For the scenario, power bi connect to Excel attatchments which are in multiple sharepoint lists and combine them together, Here are two workarounds.

Combining Excel Files hosted on a SharePoint folder with Power BI 

Or 

Merge Excel Data from Several Files in a SharePoint Document Library

Use SharePoint Online List As A Data Source In Power BI

Enter the URL of your SharePoint site.

It will show all the lists available in the SharePoint - lists are on the left corner and their preview is on the right.

Select all the lists which you want to use directly in the Power BI.

Expand "Fields" column to view all the fields shown in the SharePoint List.

Then combine and merge data with power query

Import Multiple SharePoint Lists as One Dataset share

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-shape-and-combine-data

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft Thank you for your reply.

I needed users to upload attachments via PowerApps into a SharePoint list, so option 1 alone wouldn't work. Option 2 doesn't allow you to expand data from a list attachment. However, I've used the following hybrid solution.

User uploads attachment to SharePoint using PowerApps > Microsoft Flow Pushes the attachment into a SharePoint Library > Power BI can then expand the attachments using the SharePoint Folder connector and Power Query.

Best regards, Daniel

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dm1904

Yes, it is possible , please see reference

Use SharePoint Online List As A Data Source In Power BI

Best Regards

Maggie

Yes... create a share link, and use the link until "...worksheet.xlsx" delete everything after this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.