Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Load PBIX without data and without PBIT

Hello all, 

I'm currently working on a way to automate deployment, versioning and management of reports with PowerShell (and Octopus under the hood). 

To achieve that, I needed to be able to version our Power BI Reports on Azure DevOps and package them for octopus to deploy on a dedicated environment. 

Therefore we were trying to find a way to store Power BI Reports efficiently in Azure DevOps. 

First I've thought about the pbit. (template) files that are perfect for this. 

BUT they cannot be deployed afterwards as they have to be opened and re-save as pbix to be uploaded in our ReportServer (On premise not Cloud)

That's why I've found an other solution : getting the pbiX without data. 

I know it is possible because it is what Power BI does under the hood when saving temporarily the reports. 
But I do not know how to do it on purpose. (even with an external tool Tabular Editor / Dax Studio etc..)

My current process if the following : 
1. Work on my pbix.

2. Get the temp save (100 x smaller without data) from AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\AutoRecovery

3. Store the temp save pbix (temp save to TFS)

4. Deploy the pbix  with PowerShell with Reporting Service Tool

5. Path DataSource if needed with API

5. Refresh on Power BI with API 
6. Add RLS with API

Some screenshots to help you understand the file I want to get 

1. The three Files

RomainDomart_1-1603788547341.png

Thank you all 

Romain

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Depending on your data source you could use M query parameters that help you to restrict the returned data if needed, and give you full data once deployed.

Or use your described process - that seems to be working, non?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm working with Power BI Report Server. I do not think it is possible to change M Parameter programatically isn't it ? 

The process I've described indeed works but it is painful. If you have just a tiny update to perform you still have to wait to the autosave to be done.. and it is relying on something (AutoSave) that I cannot fully control.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Good idea, but I have never done this before. Can you elaborate on the problem you encountered?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.