Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KL718
Frequent Visitor

Load Latest file from Folder keeping Historical files

HI All,

I know there are lot of disussion on how to pull latest file from Folder. But I could not find answer to my question. Hence asking for help.

My Problem- I have connected Power BI to folder, which has Excel files as below,

2019-10-10 DMD

2019-09-10 DMD

2019-08-10 DMD

I save new file every month in same Folder. When I refresh Power BI it refresh all the files. WHich is fine but I want to pull only latest file keeping historical as it is. So if I push new file in same folder 2019-11-10 DMD i want to pull only this file keeping historical data/files as it is in Power BI that way I can use the data to build visuals etc.

Regards

K**bleep**ij

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would consider appending your files in either power query or excel. Both can be automated. 

For powerquery consider the Append Queries option and simply stack your query results into a new dynamic table. 

The downside is of course that you will have to do this on a daily basis, as each file is a new query. 

PowerQuery helperPowerQuery helper

Another option would be to append the separate excel files into one larger excel file and automate this using a simple command script. 

Put all your files in one folder and create an empty subfolder named "Merged". Add the following code to a text file and rename it to script.cmd. Execute it by double clicking. Now add the newly created file as your sole power bi source.

@ECHO off 
del ".\merged\merged_file.csv"
setlocal
for %%i in (*.csv) do set /P "header=" < "%%i" & goto continue
:continue
(
   echo %header%
   for %%i in (*.csv) do (
      for /f "usebackq skip=1 delims=" %%j in ("%%i") do echo %%j
   )
) > .\merged\merged_file.CSV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.