Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Load Error from a Sharepoint Folder data source "Failed to save modifications to the server"

Hello there,

I am connecting to my co-worker's sharepoint excel file using the "sharepoint folder" data source connection.

I am able to connect and refresh the data with no problem.

However, when I go to load, I get the below error messages....

Any help is appreciated!

Ukfan123_0-1654035257940.png

Below are my power query editor queries. My SQL Query "PSV Account Cube" runs fine, but the other sharepoint connections that use the helper queries are erroring out when I go to load.

Ukfan123_1-1654035395346.png

7 REPLIES 7
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please refer to the following link, hope it can help you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/powerBI-Desktop-error-returned-when-loading-data-from-ODBC/m-p/2522553#M895385 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Failed-to-save-modifications-to-the-server-Error-returned-OLE-DB/m-p/632329#M302563 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Failed-to-save-modifications-to-the-server-when-calling-API/m-p/990136#M471505 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dhruvinushah
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Anonymous , Can you please show the full error screenshot. What is the error on the Public Library? 
Usually error messages in these cases contain more hints to build a solution case for your problem. Please reply with screenshots of your preview and full error result. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure!

Ukfan123_0-1654036903264.png

@Anonymous  Can you also show the error in the Power Query section?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query doesn't error, it's only when I go to apply/load. Is there somewhere else I need to include?

There must be something that is causing the error. Can you atleast share the query steps so I can understand the issue? 
Also sometimes the error is just caused due to internal service errors which are transient and go away after some time. Another time, the file itself in your friend's sharepoint folder may have changed in location / names or certain fields being used in the file steps are no longer there. which could cause the query parameters to break on loading the full file. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure!

“Table 1 (sheet 1)

Source = Excel.Workbook(Parameter1, null, false),

#"Sheet 1_sheet" = Source{[Item="Sheet 1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

FilterNullAndWhitespace = each List.Select(_, each _ <> null and (not (_ is text) or Text.Trim(_) <> "")),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Sheet 1_sheet", List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Sheet 1_sheet"), each try not List.IsEmpty(FilterNullAndWhitespace(Table.Column(#"Sheet 1_sheet", _))) otherwise true)),

#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Other Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Business Segment", type text}, {"Customer Number", Int64.Type}, {"Part Number", type text}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Period", Int64.Type}, {"Quantity", type number}})

in

#"Changed Type"

“Query 1”

let

Source = SharePoint.Files("https://connect.mycompany.com/Sales", [ApiVersion = 14]),

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Name] = "Sales_Plan_Monthly_Upload.xlsx")),

#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),

#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),

#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),

#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),

#"Removed Errors1" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Removed Other Columns1", {"Transform File"}),

#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Errors1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Business Segment", type text}, {"Customer Number", Int64.Type}, {"Part Number", type text}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Period", Int64.Type}, {"Quantity", type number}, {"Column7", type any}})

in

#"Changed Type"

“Public Library”

let

Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://connect.mycompany.com/Sales", [ApiVersion = 15]),

#"9b788a08-f1a7-48b3-9dc5-75d6e76d908a" = Source{[Id="9b788a08-f1a7-48b3-9dc5-75d6e76d908a"]}[Items],

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"9b788a08-f1a7-48b3-9dc5-75d6e76d908a",{{"ID", "ID.1"}}),

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each ([FileCategory] = "Reporting & Analysis")),

#"Expanded File" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "File", {"CheckInComment", "CheckOutType", "ContentTag", "CustomizedPageStatus", "ETag", "Exists", "Length", "Level", "MajorVersion", "MinorVersion", "Name", "ServerRelativeUrl", "TimeCreated", "TimeLastModified", "Title", "UIVersion", "UIVersionLabel", "Author", "CheckedOutByUser", "ListItemAllFields", "LockedByUser", "ModifiedBy", "Versions"}, {"File.CheckInComment", "File.CheckOutType", "File.ContentTag", "File.CustomizedPageStatus", "File.ETag", "File.Exists", "File.Length", "File.Level", "File.MajorVersion", "File.MinorVersion", "File.Name", "File.ServerRelativeUrl", "File.TimeCreated", "File.TimeLastModified", "File.Title", "File.UIVersion", "File.UIVersionLabel", "File.Author", "File.CheckedOutByUser", "File.ListItemAllFields", "File.LockedByUser", "File.ModifiedBy", "File.Versions"}),

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded File", each ([File.Name] = "Sales_Plan_Monthly_Upload.xlsx"))

in

#"Filtered Rows1"

Could it be that one of the queries is using API 15?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.