Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arfan
Regular Visitor

Load Client Specific Data in Dashboard/Report from OData Feed

Hi,

We have built some reports/dashboard using PowerBI Desktop. We have used OData Feed as a datasource. We logged into the ODataService using a client's credentials then built these reports. So these reports essentially contain data related to this specific client.

odataservice login.png

Now we need to share these same reports with several other clients and we want the reports to be updated (automatically) with the client specific data. We want to make sure that the wrong client's information is not leaked to other clients when we share the reports.

Here is what we want: Ideally, when the client opens a report it should prompt for the crendentials before showing any report/data and then refresh the report automatically once the credentials are verified.

Any ideas how we can achieve this?

Thanks,

Arfan

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@arfan There is easy way to do this. You need to parameterise your query. To do that you can follow example that I've shown in this blog post. Similarly you can create parameter to replace part of your oData Feed query and export it out as template. When other clien't open up that template they will be prompted for that paramter value which willl form part of their oData Feed query.

Hi Ankitpatira,

Thank you for the assistance!

I've created two parameters (User Name and Password) that I intend to use for login into the OData Feed as shown below:

OODataFeed Credentials Params.png

And then I clicked on New Source and selected OData Feed. Following dialog is shown:

ODataFeed.png

As you can see, its only asking for the OData Feed URL. In our case the URL will be same for all the clients, so we won't need to make it as Parameter. However the credentials for each client will be different. Can you please advise how and where can I specify the Paramenters (User Name and Password) to be used as the Crendentials for OData Feed.

Thank you!

Arfan

Hi @arfan,

As far as I know, we are not able to pass query parameter values as dynamic data source credential currently. In your scenario, to limit available data for each user, I suggest you use RLS feature in the report. For more information, please refer to this article: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI (Preview).

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.