Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dkunaldmehta

Live querying API data based Dashboard

Hi Team,

Following is the scenario I am trying to achieve:

1) We have created a Form submission process through Microsoft Form. This is hosted on sharepoint.

2) These form responses are available as individual entries.

3) We need to transform this into an Excel file

4) Use this excel file as a database for PowerBI

5) One of the column in this excel file, is a parameter which will be embedded into PowerBI Web APIs

6) This Web API with parameter value embedded with featch an xml response which we will parse within PowerBI as a table and perform some cleaning to make it presentation ready.

I would like to understand, if there is any PowerBI dashboard sample available which meets the above mentioned architecure & solution. To be specific, steps 4, 5 & 6.

Ideally, if PowerBi would have allowed free form text box to provide input and then handle API interconnection within DAX, I would have taken that solution. However, knowing the current limitation, we can't take that path. Hence, we are using, MSFT Forms, Sharepoint, Excel & PBI. Ideally I would like to do all this within single PBI platform itself.

Let me know, if I need to eve alter the architecture.

Any direction here is helpful and much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI dkunaldmehta,

I would recommend you to use the new preview feature dataflow in power bi service when the datasource is online service like sharepoint. Please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform....

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the direction.

I've 2 asks:

- For this help link, do you've any PBIX sample file for me to look through the base query editor and understand and replicate the same on my end.

- In parallel, I started exploring PowerApps and MSFT Flow to see, if this complete application we can build & host through Power platforms. At the end of day, we want to focus on making our application more robust by appending more API services and enrich the outcome.

However, current multi-step process is very inefficient for us to manage and scale-up.

Would wait for your advice 🙂 

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors