Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ShmuelM
Advocate I
Advocate I

Live Connection To Analysis Services does not show date hirarchy

Hi , 

When I am connecting to Analisys Services in Live Mode ( I tried to Azure and to On-Prem as well) When I select a date / datetime column PowerBI does not recognize it as a date , It also does not show the date hirarchy that PowerBi builds automaticly when It recognize a date column (for example when building a line chart visualsation) 

I have 2 main questions: 

1. Is there a way I can overcome this issue? 

2. Is there a way to know what datatype PowerBi "see" when connecting live to analysis services ? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ShmuelM The Auto-Date feature doesn't work when you are using a SSAS live connection. It is assumed that you would build your own date tables in the model. To simplify this further, you could use DAX to create your date tables, it isn't much work at all. Power BI should be recognizing all your date/time data types, are you certain you have them set appropriately in the SSAS model?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@ShmuelM The Auto-Date feature doesn't work when you are using a SSAS live connection. It is assumed that you would build your own date tables in the model. To simplify this further, you could use DAX to create your date tables, it isn't much work at all. Power BI should be recognizing all your date/time data types, are you certain you have them set appropriately in the SSAS model?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Hi , 

I was wrong about that it does't recognize it . But still is there anyway to know what the datatype of a column in Live Connections? 

@ShmuelM Only in the source model. In Live Connection, Power BI just becomes the front end visualization tool, all the modeling/changes to datatypes, etc would have to happen in the back end, so Power BI doesn't display it other than the sigma symbol to identify numbers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.