Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SJacobs
Regular Visitor

Live Connection Limitation - Get Data, Data Pane, Relationships Pane

When a live connection is in place, is it possible to also connect to another data source?   We have established a live connection to a cube, however, we'd like to perform ad-hoc analysis using a combination a data, say from the cube and an excel workbook.  When the live connection is in place, we no longer are able to get data or manipulate data through the data and relationship panes.  Is there any workaround to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@SJacobs

No, it's not possible. In POWER BI Desktop, when using live connection, you can only open connection to a single SSAS database. All underlying data and relationship is loaded, it's not supported to make any modeling change. For your requirement, you can only achieve them in import mode.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

My reports have been created using a live connection to a SSAS cube. Can I now change the connection from live to import?

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@SJacobs

No, it's not possible. In POWER BI Desktop, when using live connection, you can only open connection to a single SSAS database. All underlying data and relationship is loaded, it's not supported to make any modeling change. For your requirement, you can only achieve them in import mode.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-sihou-msft,

Landed on your reply for a question I am after. I have already gone through the Security Whitepaper but did not get the answer I am after.

Allow me first state my understanding before asking the question:

When Data is in process, PBI Service will create a in-memory Analysis Service Dataset and dataset is loaded onto it. (Ref Section: Data In Process Page 16 Power BI Security Whitepaper released May 2017) 

If above be true, is there limitation of 1GB compressed Dataset as it is in the case of import model?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Devinder

Eric_Sergerie
Advocate I
Advocate I

Played a lot with Power BI and if you find how to do it, let me know. When using live connections, Power BI is pretty much only a report builder application. It loses all the data modelization and import capabilities.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.