Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

List of Correlations By Category

Hi Everyone!

So I have a Marketing Spend Table and a Sales table. They are connected by many-to-1 relationships with a date table, and many-to-1 relationships with a region table. As our marketing strategies have changed over time and from region to region, I would like to be able to find the correlation coefficient between the spend and the sale for every region and every year (the spend and sales dates are daily, so I would use the daily spend/sale as a data point). 

I have used the R integration to create a correlation plot, but then I need to check the correlation for every date and region individually. I then tried to create a correlation measure based on the correlation quick measure, which didn't work with different attributes. Here is my latest attempt: 
Correlation Formula.JPG
I am then trying to show the data in a matrix, where the rows are the dates and the columns are the regions.
I have also attached an example that I have created in Excel! 

Would anyone be able to help me with this?

Thanks for reading! 🙂SampleDataforCorrelation.JPGSampleDataforCorrelation2.JPGSampleDataforCorrelation3.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft , 

Thank you for reaching out to me and offering further aid. Fortunately, I was actually able to write a DAX measure that resolved my issue. In case anyone else runs into the same issue, I will share it here. And perhaps @v-frfei-msft can help out by recommending any improvements (or renaming the post title if you think a different title is more relevant?). I used the help of @Daniil's correlation coefficient measure and modified it to meet my needs.

The important resolution that I found was that I had to write the measure within my date table. I had a many-to-one relationship between my sales and the date table, and a many-to-one relationship between my marketing spend and date table.

[Sales Count] = Count('Sales'[Amount])
[Marketing Spend] = SUM('Marketing'[Spend])

Correlation by Daily Points =
VAR v_table = SUMMARIZE(
'Date'
,'Date'[Date]
,"Sales" , [Sales Count]
,"Spend" , [Marketing Spend]
)
VAR x = SUMX(v_table,[Sales])
VAR y = SUMX(v_table,[Spend])
VAR xy = SUMX(v_table, [Sales] * [Spend])
VAR xx = SUMX(v_table, [Sales] * [Sales])
VAR yy = SUMX(v_table, [Spend] * [Spend])
VAR n = SUMX(v_table,IF([Spend] > 0 || [Sales] > 0, 1, 0))
VAR numerator =(n*xy - x*y)
VAR denominator = (n*xx - x*x)*(n*yy - y*y)
RETURN DIVIDE(numerator,SQRT(denominator))

The final result allowed for me to see the correlation between marketing spend and sales, allowing for filtering in a matrix. Here's a screenshot of what I was able to make: 
Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.