Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hannan
Regular Visitor

List of Column names in dropdown list

Hi All,

I am new to Power BI (3 hours only).
Need your help to find out if there is a way to display list of column names in the drop down for PowerBI.

Need to create a cascading filter.

Regards,

Hannan Mahmood

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Hannan,

This is possible however since PBI uses tabular models you need to change the way your information is setup, so you need to unpivot your data and then add both columns result from that into two slicers.

Check the example below and the attach PBIX file:

Query Editor unpivot:

unpivot.gif

Slicers with dropdown:

slicers.gif

I know that probably you will be thinking that this will cause that your data will need to have calculations based on the columns A, B, C ,D however as I said the structures of the information and of the data is similar to a database so you have to have a different approach to your data.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Hannan,

Welcome to the community, without understanding your requirements it's difficult to help you, take into account that PBI is a Bussiness Inteligence tool and the way of working is different from an Excel Spreadsheet or other tools.

What is the purpose that you want to achieve with this "dropdown list"?

Regards,

MFelix 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix,

Consider following data.

ABCD
A1B1C1D1
A2B2C2D2
A3B3C3D3

I first want a dropdown with all the names of the columns (i.e. A,B,C,D)
Then based in the column selected in this dropdown I want another list filter to select the values in this.

For Example: If Dropdown is selected as 'B'.

I want list to display (B1,B2,B3).

if Dropdown is selected as 'A'.

I want the list to display (A1,A2,A3).

I have been using other tools (like Cognos, Spotfire, Tableau, QlikView etc.), I want to know if this is possible or not in PowerBI.

Regards,

Hannan Mahmood

Hi @Hannan,

This is possible however since PBI uses tabular models you need to change the way your information is setup, so you need to unpivot your data and then add both columns result from that into two slicers.

Check the example below and the attach PBIX file:

Query Editor unpivot:

unpivot.gif

Slicers with dropdown:

slicers.gif

I know that probably you will be thinking that this will cause that your data will need to have calculations based on the columns A, B, C ,D however as I said the structures of the information and of the data is similar to a database so you have to have a different approach to your data.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix,

Got it.

This means i'll have to import same data twice as using unpivot will render the data useless for reporting. I can use the unpivoted data for filters and base reports on main table.

Regards,
Hannan Mahmood

Hi @Hannan,

You don't need to import your data twice. As mentioned PBI is not like reporting in other tools and things can be reshaped and using the tools inside PBI you get the expect results.

Adding to this if yoy reimport this table just for filtering your data that will not work because you need to ha e relation between the tables and columns relates with columns and not with lines, so it will mot work as expeced.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.