cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahussnain Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

List from DAX Measure based on "date up to" - and use in slicer/filter/table

I cannot use LIST/Columns of values returned from a dax measure. Seems DAX measure has to return only one value. Are their any ways around for my scenario below:

I am deploying equipment at locations which I record in Location Table, and I have records of equipment use at each location.

tbl_Location = columns{Location | Date}

tbl_Usage = columns{Location | Date | By | Duration}

I want to select a month, and then want to see a list of locations where the equipment was deployed up to that date.  

For example

LocA 13-Jan-2017

LocB 15-Feb-2017

LocC 10-Mar-2017

A month based filter on Feb/17 should show {LocA, LocB} in the other table/drop-down. [The default behavior would show only LocB against this filter, so I have to write DAX]

Then I'll select a value from the table/drop-down to apply further filters on Usage Table data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: List from DAX Measure based on "date up to" - and use in slicer/filter/table

Hi @ahussnain

This can be achieved through the use of un-related tables and the use of a measure as a filter. 

I mocked something similar up earlier for someone else that you might like to adapt.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtDlC2rep7a-oD0hNMo_6maOMyVY

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: List from DAX Measure based on "date up to" - and use in slicer/filter/table

Hi @ahussnain

This can be achieved through the use of un-related tables and the use of a measure as a filter. 

I mocked something similar up earlier for someone else that you might like to adapt.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtDlC2rep7a-oD0hNMo_6maOMyVY

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

ahussnain Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I get the idea. I'll apply this pattern to my situation.